Neptune WXM and Vortech ESw

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pair of MP40ESw pumps (white plastic driver boxes) and I have a Apex 2016 controller. I'd love to use the Apex to control the powerheads but I run them in Antisync mode and the MXM still doesn't do that, as far as I can tell. Also, I'd have to upgrade to QD drivers and the Mobius-ready RF board. I'm not sure it's worth all that money just for Apex control, they've been working fine on their own for years. However, the WXM can control some version of MP40, and it still works with modern Apex controllers. Plus it can be head for a pretty reasonable price if you're slightly patient.

The questions: What version of MP40 does the WXM actually work with? And what do you think about the longer term prognosis for WXM remaining compatible with updated controller firmware? I could see Neptune future software updates no longer recognizing the WXM. It would tick me off, but I could see it happening...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, based on the fiasco when the WXM was rolled out (and all the problems people continue to report), I'm not sure I'd sink anything into it at this point. I think it's either "love it" or "hate it", and for me that's too much of coin toss.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, based on the fiasco when the WXM was rolled out (and all the problems people continue to report), I'm not sure I'd sink anything into it at this point. I think it's either "love it" or "hate it", and for me that's too much of coin toss.
You mean the MXM, the older WXM has been out of production for a few years now.

WXM compatibility = mainly pre mobius. Also there is a hard date @ somepoint in 2021 where you cannot downgrade the MP10/MP40 firmware to use a wxm so, keep that in mind also.

OP
OP
B

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the MXM, the older WXM has been out of production for a few years now.

WXM compatibility = mainly pre mobius. Also there is a hard date @ somepoint in 2021 where you cannot downgrade the MP10/MP40 firmware to use a wxm so, keep that in mind also.

If I can find a used WXM for a good price (I have seen a few) and it can control a pre-Mobius MP40ESw in anti-sync with no other purchases necessary it might just be worth it. The problem with upgrading to MXM compatibility is I need to QD drivers, 2 updated RF modules, the MXM itself... And I STILL don't get anti-sync. No thanks.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the older wxm modules, so In in no rush to bother with the new stuff. The anti sync function imho is one of the best things about the ecotech product line. Sucks that its was 'forgotten' with the mxm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back