Nero 5 Not working, Red Light

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have cleaned it multiple times, factory reset and it won't show up in the app. Is the bluetooth shot? It will power up, spin for a minute or so, then stop and the light turns red. I'm out of ideas... Thoughts?

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cleaned it multiple times, factory reset and it won't show up in the app. Is the bluetooth shot? It will power up, spin for a minute or so, then stop and the light turns red. I'm out of ideas... Thoughts?
Im having the same issue with the power on, spin, then stop and blinking red light. If I take it apart like im going to clean it then put it back together it works for like a day or two then back to the blinking red light. Its perfectly clean and spins freely so I dont know what causes this. I have seen a couple threads about this but havent found a solution yet, the threads just die with no responses. Mine is a nero 3 not 5 btw

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What I'm just curious to see what the reefing community has to say. I have 8 Nero 5's and so far, so good?

wjm6449

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nero 3 that had been a pain In the butt and malfunctioned. The question is how far did you disassemble it. Did you take the blades out and expose the motor? It does slide out, but it is very difficult to take out.

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nero 3 that had been a pain In the butt and malfunctioned. The question is how far did you disassemble it. Did you take the blades out and expose the motor? It does slide out, but it is very difficult to take out.
Yes I took the blades out, it wasn't very difficult once I dried my fingers off lol

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After talking to AI, I ended up having to send mine in for repair.
How much did it cost to repair? I saw people saying it was 150$ repair which is near the price of a new one for the nero 3. At that point im just going to buy a cheap off brand one

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jebao knockoff Nero's seem more reliable than the real thing. I've been using 4x SLW's of various sizes for the past 4 years with no issues and minimal maintenance.

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jebao knockoff Nero's seem more reliable than the real thing. I've been using 4x SLW's of various sizes for the past 4 years with no issues and minimal maintenance.
Thats what I was planning to buy. Unfortunately their website seems to be broken and amazon doesnt say what GPH each one is rated for lol. Any other website that will give more information you know of?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine off Ebay. I just searched for Jebao SLW and found this info:

Jebao SLW-10 10W 4000LPH(1056GPH)

Jebao 30W 13000LPH(3400GPH)

But consider with this design the flow is very spread out and doesn't extend as far as other more traditional powerheads. I think there may be a newer version with different model name than SLW, but not certain.

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same problem with a nero 5 took it apart and cleaned it then took the toothpick that was stuck in the blades and it works

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much did it cost to repair? I saw people saying it was 150$ repair which is near the price of a new one for the nero 3. At that point im just going to buy a cheap off brand one
Yup that’s how much they tried to charge me so I tossed mine. Overpriced

OP
OP
hollback

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Heard back from them. They told me the shaft was bent and needed replaced which would be free even though I bought the pump used. They then told me that there was a little bit of corrosion where the power supply plugged into the controller. Cost would be $89. I asked if this would affect the powerhead so I told them I didn't want to have that "fixed." They just charged me $16 for return shipping.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Heard back from them. They told me the shaft was bent and needed replaced which would be free even though I bought the pump used. They then told me that there was a little bit of corrosion where the power supply plugged into the controller. Cost would be $89. I asked if this would affect the powerhead so I told them I didn't want to have that "fixed." They just charged me $16 for return shipping.
Their power supply prices are bizarre. You can match the voltage and wattage and find something probably on Amazon for $10

OP
OP
hollback

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I believe the charge was to "remove the little bit of corrosion on the female side of the port within the controller. I can do that myself with a little bit of sandpaper. :)

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 Nero 3's die on me unfortunately. Both times it was the motor, I would be blasting them for quality but both times, even though 1 was out of warranty, they replaced the pump with a brand new one for free. Since then I haven't had any issues. They seem to have some quality control issues or something but they also seem to care about their customers.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back