OP
mpoletiek

mpoletiek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the responses and the pics.

I feel like I'm balancing the desire for stability over making the changes I can NOW.

I'm definitely lucky there's no HOA for reef tanks lol.

This is my first saltwater system and have had a few freshwater assumptions smashed along the way so I might be trigger shy.

I've already gone through the whole "we don't need to quarantine" phase and lost a few fish. We're quarantining properly now (or so I hope :D), but im hesitant to add anything to the tank that could come with something bad for the fish.

If I'm understanding the consensus here we're focusing on managing growth POST rip-clean.

Here's a question... because I'm already cutting back on feeding by about half. I knew I was over feeding and honestly I'm laughing at myself because when I made the decision to feed 8 cubes a day (4 morning, 4 night) the goal was to get to GHA. So if we cut back to 4 a day and rip out all the GHA we should expect to see a slower grow-back?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not convinced that the road to dealing with algae involves nutrients as much as herbivores.
The first time I heard this I was told that tangs or a Foxface would make a great difference. Put a Foxface in that tank and let it eat all day for a few weeks while you plan stage next, the rip clean.

:cool:
The reason my HOA doesn’t fine me for having a pic #1 lawn is because I work to keep it looking pic #2, I cause that condition without excuse. “
@brandon429
Your neighborhood has zero invaded tanks, not sure about the front yards?! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I bought a new light and slapped it on my tank and the algae started growing. Then I figured out how to adjust the led spectrum :cool::thinking-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back