New 120 gallon build water change question

bellasdad0911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded to a 120 from a 25 lagoon, 120 is now 2 weeks old. All contents from my lagoon went into the 120, I did buy new live sand. Question being when should I begin with the regular water changes. Right now everything looks great, slightly pale colors but I expected that. Polyp extension is great. Nitrates tested out at almost zero, phosphates zero, nitrites zero, alk 11, calcium 460 salt 1.026 skimmer isn't pulling out anything at this point. I am running Red Sea carbon that came in my red seal coral pro bucket. I a have very minimal cyno ( rust ) on glass. So should I do a 20 gallon change or leave it be for another week or until the skimmer starts pulling skimmate?
f80abbbba620b5b66afc54b9cad05865.jpg
368f6e0148fdbf1932ffa58695df8d48.jpg

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure you have at least 20 gallons ready to go. Test daily. 25 to 120 is a jump. do not put anymore coral or fish in and let the tank settle. If ammonia starts to spike, change water or dose ozone (only if you understand what ozone is). Have you had any levels rise since starting this tank? Beautiful tank BTW

OP
OP
B

bellasdad0911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure you have at least 20 gallons ready to go. Test daily. 25 to 120 is a jump. do not put anymore coral or fish in and let the tank settle. If ammonia starts to spike, change water or dose ozone (only if you understand what ozone is). Have you had any levels rise since starting this tank? Beautiful tank BTW

When I first did the transfer I had ammonia go up to .5ppm to 1ppm. That was about a week ago, since then everything has gone down. Nitrites never spiked, nitrates never rose. I am feeding normally, I added a fairly large hippo tang since it was is dire need of a rescue ( they had it in a 20 gallon show tank and the fish is 4 inches long and an inch thick ) and a yellow tang. Water is ready to go if needed. Surprisingly this has gone very smooth. I did this once when I went from my 65 to a 150 years ago but that one didn't go as smooth unfortunately.

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first did the transfer I had ammonia go up to .5ppm to 1ppm. That was about a week ago, since then everything has gone down. Nitrites never spiked, nitrates never rose. I am feeding normally, I added a fairly large hippo tang since it was is dire need of a rescue ( they had it in a 20 gallon show tank and the fish is 4 inches long and an inch thick ) and a yellow tang. Water is ready to go if needed. Surprisingly this has gone very smooth. I did this once when I went from my 65 to a 150 years ago but that one didn't go as smooth unfortunately.
Thats awesome. Nice tank. enjoy

OP
OP
B

bellasdad0911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took care of the water change tonight, did 20 gallons. All is well. Figuring every 2 weeks for now maybe 10 days since it's not heavily stocked.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back