New 120 in Brat Town

PrangeWay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been back in Wisconsin and in Sheboygan for almost 1.5 years now, and I had setup a nice 65gal SPS tank (Reef Central Online Community - PrangeWay Reef Tank v4.0) when I got up here. I always knew I wanted a bigger tank but had not really planned anything, until I was in the local Pet store in town to pick up some cleaner shrimp when I saw it... A Oceanic Tech 120 for 800 bucks. Being the impulse shopper I am I bought it even though I had arrived on my motorcycle...

004.jpg

I've always had 3ft tanks (60 gals or so), so this should be a bit of fun. It also probably means I'm not moving for 2 years...

I swear the stand on the Tech series scare me, it really is just those silver 2x6's at each corner and um, well that's it! The tank itself is heavy duty though, and the starfire glass looks like it may look as good as my old acrylic tank. It's also nice to be on a concrete slab, as everything turned out perfectly level w/o any effort, which is always a nice thing.

hmm. that's all I can think of so far :smile:

PrangeWay

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the looks of that tank!!!!! Keep the updates coming!

Eric

PS I see you made it over here!

OP
OP
PrangeWay

PrangeWay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your plans for it?

hmm. Well I have a barebottom 65 SPS and a 24gal Softie Tank. I'll merge some of the nicer corals from those into the 120, and break them down, as I need the realestate to set my entertainment center back up!

After that it'll be a mix tank with SPS up top and LPS/Softies down low. Ordered a Hamilton Fiji Sun 6-bulb t5 system for it, haven't seen any reviews on it, so I guess I'll also post a review for it on RC. The 2 favorite tanks I've owned where a 30gallon and 60gallon that where both deep sand bed, mix tanks so I'll go that way. I did the 2 sps zeo tanks because I just wanted to try it, they are neat, but I miss all the freaky/funky stuff you find in a dsb/mix tank...

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the looks of tanks with sand on the bottom as well. I really love it when you feed and the nassarius begin to emerge from the sand! Do some build photos along the way. Plan on any fish?

Eric

plainrt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet i have been wanting that tank from there also but right now just not good time.Im also from sheboygan and always tend to have something for sale frag wise lol

OP
OP
PrangeWay

PrangeWay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting!

Fixture arrived today, a Hamilton Fiji Sun (4', 6 bulb T5). I have a Powermodule and Tek for my 65 so I figured I'd go for the trifecta and try the Hamilton (I've had their halide b4, and always liked them).

OverTank.jpg

Powered.jpg

Just added sand to if it wasn't blatantly obvious :) 48 lbs of Fiji Fancy Branch from DFS should be here Wendsday. With that and the 60lb of Lalo I'll move from 65 at end of month should be right amount of rock.

Fixture is definetly a step right between Tek and Powermodule, though it comes apart for tinkering ALOT easier than the Powermodule. Should be appropriate for a mixed tank. Oh and has LED's to, pretty sweet.

PW

OP
OP
PrangeWay

PrangeWay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you find the Hamilton light fixture? Looks nice, and I like the built in moon lights

Noticed it on the Hamilton website (they have a bunch of cool new fixtures out including se&t5 and de&t5). Couldn't find it at any of usual stores, so ended up buying right from Hamilton.

PW

OP
OP
PrangeWay

PrangeWay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

IMG_0785.jpg

Frontal Shot now that all the sand, water and rock is in. You can even see some of the putty I used to secure rock, along with the billions of micro-bubbles said putty causes with my skimmer. That'll clear up in a few days, but it's still pretty wild.

PW

OP
OP
PrangeWay

PrangeWay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
08-30-09 Update

08-30-09FTS.jpg

Everything transferred and running smoothly. I love it when a plan comes together.

PW

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ooh looks great! I love the tank!

OP
OP
PrangeWay

PrangeWay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Been lazy but did take a new picture

11-26-09120gallonFrontal.jpg

Looking pretty good, only problem was losing my big portie colony, crushing, but expected some losses in the transfer. Everything else looks good.
Might have to spring for a calcium reactor though, this tank eats alk at a incredible pace, dosing almost 140ml of Randy's 2 part a day...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back