New 125g reef tank cycle

Chris Romani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I am in no hurry with this tank but was curious to try dr tims one and only on a new tank and interested to see if others can relate. Tank has been running for 3 weeks, with 6 bags caribsea live sand and 140lbs of their liferock. 40 gallon sump. Added the Dr tims 1 week ago and today PH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite, 0 and Nitrate 0. How affective is this bacterial additive? I feel like my experience may be not the norm. Also what would your suggestion be moving forward with fish additions as it had the a "appearance" of being cycled?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I am in no hurry with this tank but was curious to try dr tims one and only on a new tank and interested to see if others can relate. Tank has been running for 3 weeks, with 6 bags caribsea live sand and 140lbs of their liferock. 40 gallon sump. Added the Dr tims 1 week ago and today PH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite, 0 and Nitrate 0. How affective is this bacterial additive? I feel like my experience may be not the norm. Also what would your suggestion be moving forward with fish additions as it had the a "appearance" of being cycled?
Your tank has not cycled. The bacteria need to grow to where they are at a level to convert fish waste (ammonia) to nitrate.
As an option you can add fish food or a dead table shrimp as an ammonia source. The bacteria will not grow without food. As the food breaks down it creates ammonia. From there the bacteria take over and convert it into your nitrite and then nitrate

Back