New 180 tank

palmettodeuce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m putting together a 180 Aqueon dual internal overflow tank with a 40B sump. This is pretty much my first salty tank, although I did have a successful 30 gallon bio cube reef tank for about a year. It was Sofities and LPS, got over run with green bubble algae from probably high nutrient levels , and got tired of it and sold it. That was about 5 years ago. This new 180 is my first nice,new tank. I have plumbed the overflows with dual 1 inch returns, 2 will be full siphon and 2 will be trickle/emergency. I’m starting my 2nd version of a return manifold. I had initially bought an Eheim 1262 pump, but it is too weak. With it feeding a single 3/4 inch return ,it barely had enough flow to feed the farthest overflow. So I ordered an Octo varios 8. I think it’s rated at 2000gph. I would like to feed my waterfall algae scrubber with it . The scrubber calls for about 400 gph. The varios is fitted with a 1.25 inch outlet. My thoughts are to reduce it to 1 inch at the pump, then 1 inch hose to a 1 inch manifold. From that I will tee of a 3/4 inch line with a valve for my scrubber. Then I would like to have 3 vertical hard lines going up the backside of the tank for the returns, if possible. The overflows are on the back wall about 6 inches from the sides. So, I was thinking it would be good to have a return in those spots along with one in the middle of the tank. Was thinking of using 1 inch up the backside, then reducing to 3/4 inch locline. I’ve already wasted money on the Eheim and the 3/4 inch manifold/return that I built, would like some advice before I start glueing pipe again. The tank will be fowlr, clowns, purple tang, tomini tang, lyre tail anthias, dwarf angels, and one large angel, some GSP, xenia, leathers, and some cheap mushrooms,if I can find them. Last time I bought a mushroom it was 5 dollars, now they have fancy names and prices to match.
Photos show my failed 3/4 inch manifold and single return.
Any advice is welcomed. I’m planning on using the scrubber for all nutrient removal. I also have a TMC 25 watt UV going in that I plan on running with a sicce 3.0. Do you think I could also run that off the varios 8 and still have the 3 returns???

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice
If the pump is not strong enough to to support a mainfold plus your flow you can always add more flow with powerheads

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back