New 20 long FOWLR- Liam's Room

FishingLovingSons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please tag anyone/everyone that could help, thanks!

Hi everyone, I've been gone for a few months dealing with family issues, kids, etc... you know "LIFE!"-but jumping back in full force! I received a lot of help several months back from @reacclimating 2 the hobby when he sold me some used equipment for the reef setup I'm doing in my living room. Unfortunately that project has not gotten up and running yet.

In the mean time I got the green light to setup a tank for my 5yo in his room! I have a stand for my old 55g FW setup that I will be using to house a 20g long for Liam. I have tossed it back and forth as a single tank or plumbing a 10g sump. Honestly, I would much rather this tank be sumpless... I have many HOBs and a few powerheads lying around that I want to piece this tank together with. If we ever add corals or nems to this tank they would be very hardy/beginner species.

Equipment I have/plan to use:
-20g long
-Aqua Clear 20
-Biowheel 350
-Several LEDs that will work fine without corals
-Submersible heaters (a few may fit in the 350)
-SUN Microsystems 800gph powerhead
-As much rock as I need (60+ lbs ready for other tank)

To quote my son "... I want 2 'nemo' fish and 3 blue fish." He already knows he won't be getting a "Dory" in this small tank. I spent some time researching small "blue" fish and can't come up with much. I will definitely get the clown pair first and then maybe add a shrimp/goby pair or whatever else in the future. I will say we would love to add a nem for the clowns but understand that could be a year or so away.

Stock:
-Clown pair
-(3 small blue fish?!)
-.... or goby/shrimp pair
-other stock options?
-snails and crabs

Can anyone give me some insight on how to mod the 2 HOBs? I was thinking the AC20 as a small refugium (lower flow rate that's adjustable) and the Biowheel 350 as the mechanical filtration, main flow generator (not adjustable), and possibly heater storage. I have 2 of the SUN 800gph that i could use as well.

For all of you experienced reefers please help me to get this done! I will drill and plumb for sump if it's a big must-do but trying not to on this tank.

Below are pics of all of the equipment I have ready for my 40b over a 40b sump for the living room... the reason for such a large sump is for ease of upgrade from a 40b DT to a 120+! I could list it all but honestly its just too much lol:
IMG_1098.jpg
IMG_1099.jpg

OP
OP
FishingLovingSons

FishingLovingSons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you getting a tank up and running. Will give you a jump start on the 40b if your son lets you take his tank out after lol.

Hopefully life gives you a break. Following along to help or just watch.

Thank you sir! Knock on wood but it seems things have settled for a bit. Oh I will for sure switch some live rocks in/out to seed the 40!
You could try Allen's Damsels, but after the clowns take hold for a bit.

Azure damsels would be perfect. A single or a trio.
https://goo.gl/images/7RBT25

I was worried the footprint may be too small for the damsels; but if a trio would work (dependent upon filtration) I would be a hero lol!

Anyone have any thoughts on the 2 HOBs? I was thinking a small string of LEDs under the lid of the AC20 for the macro fuge. What would be the best setup in the Biowheel? Floss and carbon?

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
FishingLovingSons

FishingLovingSons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use something like this for the fuge and take off the lid.
https://www.amazon.com/CF-GROW-Flex...ocphy=9004664&hvtargid=pla-498352254677&psc=1
or a 6500k puck light

Not a huge fan of carbon, but that's me. I prefer floss and sponge, but a bunch of people don't like using a sponge, but I never had a problem with rinsing it with RO/DI and reusing them.
Rinsing sponges not a problem for me either; I did freshwater tanks for years before this switch so it’s second nature lol.

I like that light, guess I’m worried about the light output since it would be running through the night... maybe if I could shield it somehow from spilling into room too much.

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how you like your Ice Cap 1k!! I have been thinking of getting one and I just have not seen any small ones in use. I know the Big one are awesome but for my 24g Cube i worry it may be to much.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how you like your Ice Cap 1k!! I have been thinking of getting one and I just have not seen any small ones in use. I know the Big one are awesome but for my 24g Cube i worry it may be to much.

I had one in my 40g breeder prior to having two in my current tank. They are great pumps, never had a complaint.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir! Knock on wood but it seems things have settled for a bit. Oh I will for sure switch some live rocks in/out to seed the 40!

I was worried the footprint may be too small for the damsels; but if a trio would work (dependent upon filtration) I would be a hero lol!

Anyone have any thoughts on the 2 HOBs? I was thinking a small string of LEDs under the lid of the AC20 for the macro fuge. What would be the best setup in the Biowheel? Floss and carbon?
Biowheels create a lot of saltcreep and I have abandoned them for my 20L QT. I now prefer the FLUVAL U4. But I understand you have these HOB filters already right? So in the case you prefer to keep the filters you have, an ATO can reduce saltcreep but keeping the water level high enough to reduce splashing. Or just top off each day or two. But the biowheels put a lot of micro bubbles in the water that rise and burst causing a fine mist=saltcreep. I have also been using the large flat carbon pads, and then cut them to fit. It is cheaper than the brand replacement filter pads.

OP
OP
FishingLovingSons

FishingLovingSons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biowheels create a lot of saltcreep and I have abandoned them for my 20L QT. I now prefer the FLUVAL U4. But I understand you have these HOB filters already right? So in the case you prefer to keep the filters you have, an ATO can reduce saltcreep but keeping the water level high enough to reduce splashing. Or just top off each day or two. But the biowheels put a lot of micro bubbles in the water that rise and burst causing a fine mist=saltcreep. I have also been using the large flat carbon pads, and then cut them to fit. It is cheaper than the brand replacement filter pads.
I hadn’t considered that with the wheels. What about running sponge/floss/carbon with no wheels? Sense most of the bacteria will be in the live rock the wheel may not be necessary.

I will be using an ATO hooked up to the blue canister in one of the pics above; it holds roughly 7 gallons.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back