New 200g build after an eight year hiatus

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL;DR
So just a heads up don't judge me on the novel I just wrote, it needs to be told! Follow ups will be short and sweet with pics and less words.

So my first post of my build thread.... I have learned so much and have seen so many great ideas on here since joining a few weeks back and now I am here to start the journey officially. First the back story, why I got back in, not what you think either. I work for Costco and one evening during a monsoon in late July a member called and asked if he could come over and get a power inverter even though we were closing soon, well he made it about 10 minutes after we closed but we still let him get the inverter, as I was ringing him up for the $500 emergency purchase we asked what it was for and he said the power was out in his neighborhood and would be for a few hours and his salt water tank needed power. I felt bad for him remembering my 55 gallon tank I had back in the day, we talked for a few about a LFS that I used to purchase livestock from, then he was on his way to save his fish and corals. That night I told a co-worker that the tank I had was fun but expensive at times. A week later my daughter needed four teeth pulled some-what on the fly, the dentist appointment was originally made to fix her spacers (dealing with a kid who needs braces, not helping the fish fund one bit) so I called out sick to stay home with her after her ordeal. While at home I was looking on the site offerup and randomly searched "salt water tank" and this showed up
offer up.jpg
so when my wife came home I just jokingly told her I wanted to get it, as you figured she agreed with my craziness.

So I messaged the seller, (wife selling her husbands tank, (he was out of town)) and said I would like to know the dimensions of the tank. She didn't know them but I figured 72 inches long, it looked like a good sized tank for sure and it was only 200 gallons..... First time I even looked on offerup and its costing me $1300, good grief. So I call the husband and he tells me he has been building the tank for a while and has had FWLRO tanks in the past but they are moving due to his work and the new house doesn't have room for it. So I know I'm picking up a tank, custom made stand and a custom made glass sump. The day arrives to get the tank, 8/3/18 not really knowing how heavy the stand is I rent the smallest U-Haul box truck with a ramp, because the stand is always heavier than the tank right? Then I call my brother to help me get it. We get to the pick-up location and I discover the dimensions I had wanted 84x24x24.5 Long story short I don't know how the two of us lifted the tank in the first place but we got it loaded, all the while glad I got the box truck and really glad I got the ramp
moving day.jpeg
then we moved it in by carrying the stand by hand through the back yard, couldn't roll had grass and rock to deal with because the short route thru the front door was too tight for the length of the stand
new home.jpeg
our front room is now the fish room. And I owe a lot to my brother, heaven help me next time he moves...…….. more to come

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so to catch up where I'm at currently, these next few post will be rapid fire

joined here on 8/3/18 before I got the tank and what I was getting into
also started watching 52 weeks of BRS160, the tank I didn't know I needed, but what I want!

I want a different sump for sure so started a sump thread, this so far is the final product with help from R2R, no baffles glued in until I buy the pumps and skimmer

old sump sump remodel.jpg

new concept sump with two bubble traps 9-4-18.png
still has some tweaking to do

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first BRS order, now this will take time to build, no credit card here all cash... I will get the couplings from Home depot but did get colored pipe, a gate valve and the check valves only BRS has
BRS first order.jpg

not a fun order... but an important order
bulk heads
ATO
heaters
RODI 6 stage
RODI fittings

more plumbing coming from homedepot as well

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first BRS order, now this will take time to build, no credit card here all cash... I will get the couplings from Home depot but did get colored pipe, a gate valve and the check valves only BRS has
BRS first order.jpg

not a fun order... but an important order
bulk heads
ATO
heaters
RODI 6 stage
RODI fittings

more plumbing coming from homedepot as well

WOW

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
installed the BRS 150G water saver today!
no leaks and 0 TDS would recommend to all of you
rodi 1.jpg rodi 2.jpg rodi 3.jpg rodi 4.jpg Rodi 5.jpg
I let it run a bit without the DI canisters hooked up but once I hooked them up, ) on the meter, and I am thinking about the booster as well only getting 50 psi

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like it will turn out to be a great tank! Following along

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another BRS order, its a fast seller so it wasn't on my first order but I'm glad I have it for the new tank set up, GFO carbon reactor
gfo carbon.jpg
loading up my cart from BRS right now, need some pieces to make the RODI system complete and all my old powerheads are toast so I need some small ones for my mixing barrel and pumps to drain the barrels.

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another BRS order, got stuff to get the RODI water out of the containers and decided to get testing equipment, also got a couple boxes of rock about 80 pounds now

BRS second.jpg

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry its been quiet on the thread, ended up getting rid of the current stand and going with a FRP tube stand, that purchase hit the time line for when there will be water. But I have gotten more rock, up to 200 pounds of reef saver, starting the aquascape and will have some pictures up soon.. The stand should be done in two weeks so then the water can get rolling. While idle I have decided on a Tunze Master DOC 9410 DOC skimmer, two maxspect XF280 gyre power heads for the ends and two Tunze Turbelle 6105 on the back, its a lot of flow for a tank that will have a sand bed but I figure I will just turn them up as high as it can go without making sand storms.

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
order update! took advantage of the BRS black Friday sales and now I have water movement and lights,
got two gyres 280 and I will have two tunze 6105 for the back glass. also got the reef brite 50/50 to run while its a FWOLR then I will use as back up and quarantine tanks, powerhead and light order.jpg
also got GFO, a gate valve and the clear screens for the top, ordered at 1am on Friday so I also snagged the free hoodie.

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so still waiting on the stand but I went to Harbor Freight and got a pressure washer to start on the dry live rock, here is a before and after of the rock and my helper, he had a blast, pun intended,
rock before.jpg
rock after.jpg
helper.jpg
now the rock is in a bleach bath for about a week

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rocks are still in the bleach on to the sump, its a custom 58"L x 15"H x 12"W when I got it I did not like the baffle set up, here's the progression

original baffles draw out
drawing of sump.jpg
some reason very low water levels only a max of 7 inches across the whole tank
sump remodel.jpg
removing the old baffles...
sump remodel 1.jpg
drawing up the idea, unfortunately plans changed, and ended up only doing a bubble trap between the skimmer and return chambers, but changed after I had bought the glass, new sketch
sump with two bubble traps 12-3-18.png
I also bought 3/16 inch glass instead of 1/4 inch so I came up with an idea
black out ref.jpg
put two same sized pieces together and have it blacked out and this will be the thick (3/8) and go between the refugium and skimmer, I left the one inch boarder so there will be no chance of the paint leeching out into the water and silicone the boarder with no air bubbles. then for good measure put a box of salt mix on top over night.
pump side under over.jpg
two baffles in, skimmer side under and over, next will be installing the double sheet. then waiting for diamond bit to drill the under on the return side for the ball float valve the glass will be 3 inches above the over so I will have room for the float.

As for the ATO I bought the Tunze kit so the ball float will be redundancy for me.

I also did a ullage check for the sump I will have just over 11 gallons, so I would be safe with ten gallons in my ATO reservoir.

progress is being made

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so progress has been made, stand is home, and going in the house tomorrow, sump is remodeled with the baffles in, giving it week to let the silicone cure per the bottle, and took the live rock out of the bleach bath will let them dry then mold into the aquascape. Next venture is running the wires for two 20 amp dedicated lines. Then maybe throw some water in a tank.

stand 3.jpg stand 1.jpg

sump final.jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back