OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ran the power today, it was not that bad, so I have 1 20amp line to the tank along with the existing 15 amp next to the tank I shouldn't be blowing any breakers, I also ran outlets along one of the 20 amp line to add an outlet in the garage, and to have some in the ceiling of my porch I figure I was making holes might as well have something to show for it, the outlet in the ceiling will be for holiday lights and sort.
power 3.jpg power 2.jpg power 1.jpg

I did a watt/ amp usage estimate months back and came at 1800 watts ish, that was full power for everything, I know dc motors and led lights don't run full power but I figured it into the build and doing it my self saved $1700 (I got a few bids that was the highest)

thanks to the form the power I ran changed to a safer in code project

Last edited:
OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is water in the tank! Wait its the sump, and its only to check the baffles and tank for leaks but its progress at least, (overfilled in the skimmer and return chamber to have more water in the tank to test on purpose) also second photo is to see how much light the blacked out baffle blocks, I have a black light flash light pointed at the baffle and not much light is getting thru.
sump water test.jpg
baffle test.jpg

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so another lame pic-less post, ran a single extra line so now I have two circuits to grab power from, any suggestions on surge protectors would be nice, not doing a controller right away so don't know what to use, thinking of

kill-a-watt
https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4330-Kil...=1545796629&sr=8-8&keywords=kill-a-watt+meter

ADJ
https://www.amazon.com/ADJ-Products...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0XKGGXZ4TTWBDF3BER92

Echo Gear
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DPFG7V/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

did some other things around the house and with the holidays I have been busy, still need to set up the aquascape but the new stand is place, hopefully pictures of rocks are in the next post.

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just like my first post, a tank on a stand, although now its a different stand in front of another outlet, with a wall with a new coat of paint..... and pretty much all the equipment I need to get it going,
received_367068027418628.jpeg.jpg
the skin of the stand still needs to get put on the new stand and I have to plumb the system but this was a big step towards the project, only plumbing I was waiting on was the PVC pipe clamps which I almost got at BRS, sorry BRS couldn't spend 4 dollars a pop on those, but Grainger has them for less then a $1 for 3/4" and $1.75 for 1.5" clamps
the bad side my aquascape is not done and I haven't bought any surge protectors yet.

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190224_174148.jpg

it is plumbed up and ready for water, the light is just a LED strip light I can turn on to see what is going on down there. It has been a slow process, work,family and second guessing the plan has slowed it down but now it is ready for water. One thing I had a problem with is the lack of space I thought I had to use as many unions and pipe as I wanted to which was not the case, looking at all the awesome tank rooms gave me higher expectations of room for plumbing. I followed BRS and used unions on every length of pipe for the convenience of maintenance and pipe lay out. Purple pipe was my daughters input for the tank I think it looks good with the blue.

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thumbnail_20190527_224704.jpg thumbnail_20190527_224755.jpg thumbnail_20190527_224808.jpg thumbnail_20190527_224720.jpg
Its been awhile but the tank is moving forward, decided to cure the rocks in the tank to make it easier to plan out, the layout is about 99 percent done, I can still move the "islands" around, but they are super glued together as the towers and caves. The lighting is not set up, it is rigged atm, but for now there is salt water on the rocks and the sump is working out great, good flow. Next weekend is the sand, I cant do a tank without sand... the wires are going to be cleaned up as well, I have the ATO running in the front of the sump due to the short cord on the thing

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thumbnail_20816.jpg thumbnail_20849.jpg
Let there be sand, purchased 6 bags of 40 lb dry CaribSea special grade sand, (may have over bought a bag or two). Rinsed out till clear as you can tell didn't get it all but the rinse helped, only about 4 hours between pictures after the third bag I was just dumping from the top, the fun part will be turning on the powerheads and seeing how much I have to turn their settings down. Next post will be the tank is cycled and hopefully rats nest of wires are taken care of.

OP
OP
jrlg

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shake the dust off this thread, still trudging along but have my control cabinet near its completion went from a rats nest that i never took a pic of to easy access with room to expand. Still have some wire management to finish but the last picture with the cables running at the bottom will stay exposed, incase I need to pull a pump that is connected to it, finished product of the cabinet will be another door on the outside with the finished décor.
controls1 (2).jpg
tank (2).jpg
controls1 (1).jpg
controls (1).jpg
controls (2).jpg
tank (2).jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.3%
Back