New 32g Biocube

clarke.matthew1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a used 32 from a fellow reefer, LEDs, UV Steriliver, Sea Swril, Jebao Powerhead. 30lbs Pukani live rock and 1 bag live sand. Going to eventually make chamber 2 a full fuge. Just basic carbon filter now for water clarity.
82ae53ec4cb81b609ea63ccc570dc2f7.jpg
582b0cd5de6c0c25133efa64341a61f1.jpg

OP
OP
clarke.matthew1

clarke.matthew1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting to do mostly zoa, LPS. Light fish load: clowns, gobies, either chromis or cardinals.

I would love to have a RBTA but have questions on the light. Some places say it's enough and others dont. I have looked at SteveLEDs but dont want to spend the money if not necessary.

This is also not my first tank, had a in-wall 90gal for 3 years, that I had to part ways with before moving into an apartment. So I'm not new to reefing just new to smaller

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting to do mostly zoa, LPS. Light fish load: clowns, gobies, either chromis or cardinals.

I would love to have a RBTA but have questions on the light. Some places say it's enough and others dont. I have looked at SteveLEDs but dont want to spend the money if not necessary.

This is also not my first tank, had a in-wall 90gal for 3 years, that I had to part ways with before moving into an apartment. So I'm not new to reefing just new to smaller
I think you will be fine with nems. Our nems done fine in the 32 with stock lights.

OP
OP
clarke.matthew1

clarke.matthew1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a good algae bloom even with the tank cycled, suggestion for proper cleanup crew? Got the 30gal package from reefcleaners.com. But nothing seems to go for the longer fern like pieces
5fbefb3f75c247f92030f10f308a7b9f.jpg

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a good algae bloom even with the tank cycled, suggestion for proper cleanup crew? Got the 30gal package from reefcleaners.com. But nothing seems to go for the longer fern like pieces
5fbefb3f75c247f92030f10f308a7b9f.jpg
There's a couple fronds that look like they might be bryopsis, would you be able to get a better picture of the fern you're talking about?

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a couple fronds that look like they might be bryopsis, would you be able to get a better picture of the fern you're talking about?

That was my concern too seeing a few spots that look like "Fern" leaves. I have seen some green hair algae look like that too, but it is hard to tell from the picture. If it is Bryopsis, I had some great success with using the Magnesium dosing method to get rid of it.

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen a single fish picture, so I'm wondering why your nutrients are so high? As you have no corals, kill the lights, or severely shorten their cycle. If you have no fish, stop feeding as much and kill the lights. Should kill off the GHA in a matter of days/week.

EDIT: What is your source water? That may be the cause as well.
SECOND EDIT: I have an AI Prime HD over mine, way better than stock (mine is the original Biocube, so not LED). If you desire to dump the lid, go that route. Also check for people upgrading their LEDs, I imagine someone has by now. If you're at all DIY, may be the cheapest route.

OP
OP
clarke.matthew1

clarke.matthew1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to move recently, so tore the tank down and restarted.
Upgrades:
Lights- Steves LEDs with Bluefish Mini controller
Media- InTank Media Basket with filter floss, carbon, and chaeto in third section with an Innovative Marine ChaetoMax light
Skimmer- Tunze 9001

Added another 4lbs of live rock
2in deep sand bed
Going to get a ATO once I see how crazy the water loss will be with new lights and skimmer
d85d46435322ebd1e49138345c53c4d8.jpg

Back