New 50 gallon set up

Dorofam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All new to this, to a point, lots of studying but will actually be my first time setting up a tank. I have a 50 gallon tank, my starting point, no top, no lights, no filters, was gifted as a freshwater tank but everything else was trash. Where do I start as far as lights filters. Any help, suggestions will be greatly appreciated

vcollins9850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All new to this, to a point, lots of studying but will actually be my first time setting up a tank. I have a 50 gallon tank, my starting point, no top, no lights, no filters, was gifted as a freshwater tank but everything else was trash. Where do I start as far as lights filters. Any help, suggestions will be greatly appreciated
My first question would be if you know the history of the tank and what it your goal to keep in it? Like do you know what was kept in it and if it was ever treated with anything like copper that might negatively affect what you might want to keep. No expert but that is what always makes me nervous about hand me down tanks. Other worry is how good it’s sealed and worry about possible leaks.

as long as you are confident in the tank, everything else depends on what you want to keep in it. Fish only you can get by with cheaper light. But pumps, heater, light and some form of filtration would be needs. Equipment really depends on what your budget is. Salt, ro water source and some live/dry rock. Sand is up to you.

YouTube some vids for setting up first saltwater tank and your resources will be endless.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back