New 60 gallon scape need opinions please

Falcons070

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting up this 60g. I wanna do mostly Zoa and fish. Just looking for opinions on the 2 different scapes on if it’s too much rock with the second tower. Thanks

IMG_3960.jpeg IMG_3958.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its always up to the tank owner, and if you ask others, you get their opinion. My opinion is that I like to build and offer little caves and nooks and cranies for the fish and inverts to hide and feel safe. Your looks gorgeous, but single pillar 'scapes are not my cup of tea.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the second one but I would remove the bottom rock (to lower the whole structure) and break that piece up, creating some hiding spots at the base.

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Make sure the rocks are far enough from the glass that you can get a tool in there to clean the glass on all 4 sides. Your scape looks fine in this regard, but its hard to tell from this angle.
2. It appears your scape goes all the way up to, if not above, the water level. This means you won't be able to put coral on the top.
3. If you intend to add coral, its a good idea to plan for when the coral is fully grown out. For LPS, people usually recommend not going above 70% of tank height with rocks. 50% for SPS. Even lower if you want some space at the top of the tank, above the coral, for fish to swim.
4. This scape doesn't seem to provide much habitat for any fish or inverts. Most fish like caves and nooks and crannies to escape aggression and to use as a sleeping spot. The more habitat you create with your rock work, the more fish you can add and the lower the risk of aggression. I'd recommend looking up BRS.TV's HNSA (habitat negative space aquascape) videos to get a general idea of what things to consider when building your scape.

Note: I've never set up a reef tank, just doing a lot of research in preparation for setting up my own. Take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back