New 62 inch back flow sump design

Marzvt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a bigger refined version of the frankinsump that I am currently using. I have my sump in the basement and I was having problems getting the flowrates into the display tank to be as high as I wanted them. I took 3 inch pipe and from the former return chamber and brought it back to a new chamber right next to the water intake so that I could have as straight of a path up to the display as possible. The result was 200gph more flow with 2 amps less draw.

After running this system for a year this is my formalized version that solves many of my issues with my frankinsump.
First- The return to the return chamber is now wide enough they I can put marine pure blocks in it. The current version its just waisted space.
Second- I put the refugium after the skimmer. That wasn't an option of my current setup. and there has been a number of times the skimmer has become blocked from a rouge piece of Chaeto. Being pre skimmer also made it so I couldn't use the refugium to breed copepods.

One thing that I am not changing is use of a manifold for all my reactors, UV and chiller. But it is going to pull from the skimmer chamber.
Here is what I'm using now.
20181126_082547.jpg

Here is the new design. It fits on a sheet 72X96 sheet of 3/8s and a 48X36 sheet of .25 for the covers.
First_Sump_design_2018-Nov-26_05-53-28PM-000_CustomizedView27259647971.png

This shows the basic setup.
Sump setup words.png

the full dimensions are 62X24 Right now my display is 180g but this is in preparation of moving to a 300g

OP
OP
Marzvt

Marzvt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks the acrylic is getting cut so I might be able to start assembling this weekend

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well aren't you going to be busy today. I love the back flow idea. I'm so tired of having return and the drain at opposite ends. I want to kinda use your idea if I can. Like you know basement sumps you dont need pipes running down so far apart they all go down the same hole.
So what the acrylic cost where you get it done. Give me the juice on it.

OP
OP
Marzvt

Marzvt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well aren't you going to be busy today. I love the back flow idea. I'm so tired of having return and the drain at opposite ends. I want to kinda use your idea if I can. Like you know basement sumps you dont need pipes running down so far apart they all go down the same hole.
So what the acrylic cost where you get it done. Give me the juice on it.

You are welcome to copy my design. I’ll even share the fusion 36o file with you if you want it. All in all it was $1000 it was about $500 for the acrylic and $500 to have all the pieces laser cut. Doing it this way cuts out so much plumbing. I wouldn’t find anything off the shelf that even came close.

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like less plumbing. That's a good price too. Looking at any thing close to this. Its dream boxes at 1800$ and up..

OP
OP
Marzvt

Marzvt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I had looked at those. Beautiful quality but still didn't fit my needs. When you move things to the basement you have different needs and restrictions that most off the shelf sumps don't work for.

OP
OP
Marzvt

Marzvt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I looked at everything before finally deciding to design my own. The problem that basically everything on the market is meant to be under an aquarium stand.

OP
OP
Marzvt

Marzvt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build is finally done and I installed it this weekend! I love the new sump. Total water volume is 115gal it I have more like 80 or 90 in it now.
D8447DB7-4FC6-4E57-B48D-A3984F1D7B5A.jpeg

CA6A6755-8DDE-4BE1-9B32-32DEC2AB9E58.jpeg

E4A358DB-9D8E-4593-9FA0-F1048228D7E5.jpeg

75446AD9-23B2-4E77-892A-494E3D417BC6.jpeg

I put the manifold and reactors back online yesterday. The Uv and chiller are going back online this weekend along with the calcium reactor.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back