New 92 corner

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys first post of many. I just got a used 92 corner off of Craigslist. I have been running a small 6 gallon cube for 2 years. That has been running good with no issues. Because that was a small set up I know very little about filtration and lighting. I also don't remember a lot about the cycling process. So here are my questions. I don't have my live rock yet. I will be order it through BRS I was thinking of going with the reef saver dry rock. Should I fill my tank and add the live sand to get the process started or should I wait until I receive my rock? Or could I move one piece from my cube with the sand and add the rest when I get it? Also how should I set up my sump? What are the best thinking to add to it and what type of lighting does it need ? Thanks

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not set up yet. The last couple days I cleaned the tank really well and re finished the stand and canopy.

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should probably wait to fill your tank until your liverock comes in so that you can properly aquascape your aquarium. Then once aquascaping is complete add water then cycle it by adding ammonia dead shrimp or something similar

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I didn't think of that. Thanks

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your sump I would putt in a skimmer, chaeto and phosphate reactor at the minimum. Dont use bio balls or anything like that.

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it came with a sump, skimmer, bio balls. What is the disadvantage to using them?

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sump only needs lighting if you use macroalgae. And even then it doesn't require intense lighting

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also came with 3 power heads and controller, heater, all pumps , and lighting.

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it came with a sump, skimmer, bio balls. What is the disadvantage to using them?
People say using bio balls can cause its own nitrate issues but someone who has used bio balls can probably give better advice about that

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I asked that because along with the lighting in the canopy he gave me a metal halide too. I was thinking of using that but it sounds like it may be over kill

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bio ball traps detritus and produce nitrate. You're much better off losing them and putting the best biggest skimmer you can fit in there.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I asked that because along with the lighting in the canopy he gave me a metal halide too. I was thinking of using that but it sounds like it may be over kill

What other lighting does it have? The halide would probably be great but it'll be hot and an energy hog.

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 6 t5's it appears that 4 are blue and 2 white. 4 are in a housing with a controller that has a timer and selection between blue and white but they all look blue to me. There is also what he referred to as a night light. It seems like a very dim blue led strip.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 6 t5's it appears that 4 are blue and 2 white. 4 are in a housing with a controller that has a timer and selection between blue and white but they all look blue to me. There is also what he referred to as a night light. It seems like a very dim blue led strip.

If you plan to keep any SPS you'll probably want to use the MH along with the T5's

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently in my cube I only have lps: frogspawn, hammer, zoa and I think it's a Kenya tree

IMG_1279.JPG

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It was super hard to keep clean because it was so small. I could not get to some of the glass so it was just up to the CUC

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think I should re use my live rock in my cube or just start from scratch considering it's such a small amount?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back