OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just worry about transferring a bad hitchhiker. I don't really have a reason to think there is any other then the tons of asterina starfish I have which I don't even know if they are bad and I also notice a long long time ago some tiny bugs walking around. They kinda looked like little fleas I also have a coral dip I guess it would be called. It was a liquid you mixed with RO and dipped the corals in before putting them in your tank. You may even acclimate them in it I cannot remember.

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I s the tank stand and canopy in my garage. I have just been rinsing it over and over after cleaning it. I will probably move it into my house this weekend.

IMG_1362.JPG

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys I got the tank inside. Now because I have never set up a sump before I have no clue what to do now. I was planning on filling it with the hose to make sure everything is working and no leaks so when I get me sand and rock this week everything is good to go.

First how do I know how much water to put in the tank so I don't overflow anything. In the overflow the tube that fills the sump is adjustable. How do I know where to set that? Also how do I start the siphon?

I have also never used a protein skimmimer. Does it look correct and what is the small line coming off of the pump for? I also haven't removed the bio balls yet like someone suggested. How much water do I put in the sump? Thanks guys

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I read another new thread and I understand how much water now but I still don't know where to position the drain tube. Also why are there holes in the elbow? Wouldn't that make the rest of the piece useless because the water is just going to drain through those holes?

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I read another new thread and I understand how much water now but I still don't know where to position the drain tube. Also why are there holes in the elbow? Wouldn't that make the rest of the piece useless because the water is just going to drain through those holes?

Once it's running adjust the drain tube until the level in the overflow is about an inch or a little less below the tank level. Any more than that and it will get loud. I'm not 100% sure but I think the side holes are to help the water more easily get started up and over the bend. Sort of a primer maybe.

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it's running adjust the drain tube until the level in the overflow is about an inch or a little less below the tank level. Any more than that and it will get loud. I'm not 100% sure but I think the side holes are to help the water more easily get started up and over the bend. Sort of a primer maybe.

That makes sense thanks. Is it safe to test it tonight with hose water to ensure I have no leaks and everything is running good? I will be putting sand and rock in tomorrow and starting my cycle. Thanks

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense thanks. Is it safe to test it tonight with hose water to ensure I have no leaks and everything is running good? I will be putting sand and rock in tomorrow and starting my cycle. Thanks

Yea but I'd do the leak test outside if I were you. If that thing fails, you're going to have a major catastrophe on your hands.

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know the tank doesn't leak but I did replace a bulk head so I wanted to make sure that was sealed and I know how to set everything up for tomorrow.

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm all set up and running so it's just a waiting game now...

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a week the silicon gave and started leaking my so it's all if food safe 55 gal barrels in my garage. Is there a way I can keep the cycling process going in the barrels. I placed the sand in the bottom then the rock just like in a tank.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a week the silicon gave and started leaking my so it's all if food safe 55 gal barrels in my garage. Is there a way I can keep the cycling process going in the barrels. I placed the sand in the bottom then the rock just like in a tank.

Bummer man, you can keep it going. Provide heat and flow to the barrels.

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the tank out in my garage and it looks like the silicon is just leaking in the corner so I will be resealing it

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the tank out in my garage and it looks like the silicon is just leaking in the corner so I will be resealing it

Good luck. There's a ton of good info out there on doing it. Hopefully I'll never need it :)

OP
OP
RandU

RandU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I resealed my 180 fresh about 5 years ago and that's holding water still so that's a good sign. The leak was on the bottom right side near the front. It was a steady drip.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back