New and may have made a mistake….

Steven9194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon tank, which has been running for 8 days now. I started the cycle with 2 bottles of Dr. Tims and some ammonia. I was out of town the first 4 days, so I couldn’t monitor the parameters.(first big mistake)

When I got back, I checked the levels and Ammonia was at .50, with .00 Nitrites and Nitrates.

On day 6, I seen the Ammonia levels dropped to .25, while still, the Nitrite and Nitrates remained at .00. I reached out to a local shop who was giving me advice. They advised to add some fish. Was told I could add about 5 or so. My eager self went to the store and purchased 2 clowns and a small hippo tang. Today is day 8 and everyone is eating and appears to act normal. Clowns are swimming while the tang loves to hide on the rocks.

I checked the levels again today and they may have a slight tint change from day 6 levels, but I am still not seeing nitrates or nitrites. How can I advance from here? I’d really prefer not to kill these fish and or start over from the beginning.

I’ve attach the tests from day 4 and day 6, but forgot to photograph day 8 results.

IMG_0962.jpeg

OP
OP
Steven9194

Steven9194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon tank, which has been running for 8 days now. I started the cycle with 2 bottles of Dr. Tims and some ammonia. I was out of town the first 4 days, so I couldn’t monitor the parameters.(first big mistake)

When I got back, I checked the levels and Ammonia was at .50, with .00 Nitrites and Nitrates.

On day 6, I seen the Ammonia levels dropped to .25, while still, the Nitrite and Nitrates remained at .00. I reached out to a local shop who was giving me advice. They advised to add some fish. Was told I could add about 5 or so. My eager self went to the store and purchased 2 clowns and a small hippo tang. Today is day 8 and everyone is eating and appears to act normal. Clowns are swimming while the tang loves to hide on the rocks.

I checked the levels again today and they may have a slight tint change from day 6 levels, but I am still not seeing nitrates or nitrites. How can I advance from here? I’d really prefer not to kill these fish and or start over from the beginning.

I’ve attach the tests from day 4 and day 6, but forgot to photograph day 8 results.

IMG_0962.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpeg
    IMG_0969.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 18

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mistakes.

Everything is likely fine. ANY tank can get started in a myriad of ways with just time. Now that you have those fish, the bacteria in their guts has a significantly wider range than anything in a bottle. Just feed them smartly and don't add any more fish until you see some film algae or diatoms start to appear... some sign that the ecosystem is starting to advance.

Any ammonia test in that color range is likely zero.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get too tied up with those tests.
Not very accurate at all.
Fish are fine, that’s what’s important.
If you had an ammonia problem, you’d know it.
Fish would be visibly freaking out, maybe popping at the surface.
Enjoy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back