New and starting a nano reef!

mikayla.nems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have been lurking on here for a while doing my research and wanted to jump in and make my own thread to document my process and everything I learn from others on here. I bought a basically brand new IM Nuvo 10 gallon off of a guy to start a reef in. It comes with 10lb of live rock, power head, heater, temp gauge, 18 watt LED, green mushroom, and an emerald crab -almost everything he already had in it (attached a photo from the listing). Nothing is wrong with it, he just has too many tanks.

I've done a good amount of research but want some help with taking what he's done and making sure the live rock is well enough to put livestock and coral in it. The hope for down the line is to have this be a soft coral tank, with 2 CF and a clean-up crew.

What test kits should I get first and what should I be worried about when first starting with this tank? I have Instant Ocean salt ready to mix but don't have RODI water; I've read that distilled water is okay to mix the salt in - what do you think? ALSO best recommendation for filter components for this AIO?

Thanks so much!!

IMG_7183.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and congrats on the tank! Some guidance from my perspective is below, please feel free to ask us any more specific questions as they arise.

• I'd recommend you invest in a RO/DI system if you intend to be involved in the hobby long term - distilled water is ok for a short term holdover
  • for test kit, I'd recommend the red sea marine care test kit: https://amzn.to/43vFrkf . You also want to make sure you have a reliable tool, such as a refractometer, to monitor and maintain salinity, as well as a reliable heater and thermostat to keep temp in the 78 degrees F range.
  • for filter components, I'd recommend some filter floss for mechanical filtration (you can just throw it away and replace it, much easier than cleaning filter socks, I use this stuff, cheap and easy to cut to size: https://amzn.to/3PweXJS) and a bit of quality activated carbon in a secure fine mesh bag for chemical filtration/elimination of contaminates, smells and discoloration, which should be replaced every 4-6 weeks or so.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Simple filter floss will be all you really need and thats more to protect the pump. Stay up on water changes. Test kits since doing soft corals wont really be needed but I do recomend a refractometer. If tank already has bacteria established, then testing really wont be needes. If you dont plan on doing much water changes weekly, then you may want to test.

OP
OP
M

mikayla.nems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and congrats on the tank! Some guidance from my perspective is below, please feel free to ask us any more specific questions as they arise.

• I'd recommend you invest in a RO/DI system if you intend to be involved in the hobby long term - distilled water is ok for a short term holdover
  • for test kit, I'd recommend the red sea marine care test kit: https://amzn.to/43vFrkf . You also want to make sure you have a reliable tool, such as a refractometer, to monitor and maintain salinity, as well as a reliable heater and thermostat to keep temp in the 78 degrees F range.
  • for filter components, I'd recommend some filter floss for mechanical filtration (you can just throw it away and replace it, much easier than cleaning filter socks, I use this stuff, cheap and easy to cut to size: https://amzn.to/3PweXJS) and a bit of quality activated carbon in a secure fine mesh bag for chemical filtration/elimination of contaminates, smells and discoloration, which should be replaced every 4-6 weeks or so.
Thanks for all the help!

OP
OP
M

mikayla.nems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Simple filter floss will be all you really need and thats more to protect the pump. Stay up on water changes. Test kits since doing soft corals wont really be needed but I do recomend a refractometer. If tank already has bacteria established, then testing really wont be needes. If you dont plan on doing much water changes weekly, then you may want to test.
Awesome thanks!

OP
OP
M

mikayla.nems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! I lived in Chesterfield while going to school and my wife and I took full advantage of visiting your free beautiful zoo!
Nice, the zoo is great! I'm originally from Phoenix, AZ but came to STL for undergrad and ended up staying for my Biochemistry PhD!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well congratulations, that size tank is going to be much easier to move upon graduation!
Nice, the zoo is great! I'm originally from Phoenix, AZ but came to STL for undergrad and ended up staying for my Biochemistry PhD!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Distilled is fine to use but you can also buy RODI at many local fish stores which is usually less expensive than jugs of distilled. Even for a small tank you will want a RODI system as it will make your life much easier. There are portable units (I think one of then is called RO Buddy or something like that) if you don't have a place for a plumbed in RODI unit. You will need some way to measure the salinity of the saltwater you mix. A refractometer is easy to use and inexpensive. The Red Sea test kit that @TX_REEF mentioned is a good choice as it has all of the common tests you will need. Most of your filtration will be provided by the rocks and sand so some floss is probably all you will need for some mechanical filtration.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back