New AQ lurker

BigMoe

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 23, 2026
Messages
13
Reaction score
20
Location
Lawrenceville,GA
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to Aquarium life, gathering information etc to setup/purchase a 90ish gallon tank setup. My space is a little limited to 52" wide. I have been looking at lots of tanks etc. Debating new vs used. Local store has a red sea used with cabinet for $400 but the glass is very scratched up. How hard is it to polish back to a nice clear finish? The redsea tank is a littel smaller than what I want but for that price it has to be considered. I figured all up i would be in around 200-2500. I am sort of a car guy I am somewhat mechanical. I do IT work for a living. The main question is I am not sure if I want more reef than fish or more Fish tan reef. Trying to decide a happy medium.
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
Welcome, glad you are here! Read up on RedSea tanks, I wouldn’t buy new not to mention used. Good luck with whatever you choose.
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif
 
Im new to Aquarium life, gathering information etc to setup/purchase a 90ish gallon tank setup. My space is a little limited to 52" wide. I have been looking at lots of tanks etc. Debating new vs used. Local store has a red sea used with cabinet for $400 but the glass is very scratched up. How hard is it to polish back to a nice clear finish? The redsea tank is a littel smaller than what I want but for that price it has to be considered. I figured all up i would be in around 200-2500. I am sort of a car guy I am somewhat mechanical. I do IT work for a living. The main question is I am not sure if I want more reef than fish or more Fish tan reef. Trying to decide a happy medium.
Welcome to R2R!
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef, the greatest community out of water!

I own a Red Sea and I’ve had good luck with it over the last 3 years. I will be moving to an Eshopps brand here soon before it forces me to. RedSea tanks are prone to failure and it’s catastrophic. I personally would not buy a used RedSea tank. I know it’s a good price however there’s a reason for it.
 
Im new to Aquarium life, gathering information etc to setup/purchase a 90ish gallon tank setup. My space is a little limited to 52" wide. I have been looking at lots of tanks etc. Debating new vs used. Local store has a red sea used with cabinet for $400 but the glass is very scratched up. How hard is it to polish back to a nice clear finish? The redsea tank is a littel smaller than what I want but for that price it has to be considered. I figured all up i would be in around 200-2500. I am sort of a car guy I am somewhat mechanical. I do IT work for a living. The main question is I am not sure if I want more reef than fish or more Fish tan reef. Trying to decide a happy medium.
Welcome to the Reef Forum. I hope you enjoy the discussions. I think you'll eventually prioritize corals.
 
Im new to Aquarium life, gathering information etc to setup/purchase a 90ish gallon tank setup. My space is a little limited to 52" wide. I have been looking at lots of tanks etc. Debating new vs used. Local store has a red sea used with cabinet for $400 but the glass is very scratched up. How hard is it to polish back to a nice clear finish? The redsea tank is a littel smaller than what I want but for that price it has to be considered. I figured all up i would be in around 200-2500. I am sort of a car guy I am somewhat mechanical. I do IT work for a living. The main question is I am not sure if I want more reef than fish or more Fish tan reef. Trying to decide a happy medium.

Hello and Welcome! I can already tell you are going to do well in this hobby because of your planning efforts. I prefer glass over acrylic, and typically for tanks I have gotten good deals through local hobby club site or Facebook Marketplace. My FOWLR (fish only with live rock) has fake corals decorations (60 gallon) and my mixed reef tank (180 gallons) I watch my fish more than play with corals. You'll have fun deciding what is right for you - good luck! Patience is the magic in this hobby.
 
I ended up with a used tank to test the waters with. Got a 55g. HOB with a 10g sump. Skimmer etc. so far seesm to be working well. Been chasing an issue with the Red SEA Ato+. Seems to be over filling the sensor. I have been email Redsea for asistance, So far I really love the tank. Already looking for a 90 gallon, Nicer cabinet with bigger sump area. or may try ou tthe Sicce 650 canister. Just not sure about how to get a skimmer that way.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new