NEW Aquamaxx HOB-1.5

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed a new HOB skimmer from Aquamaxx. The HOB-1.5. Has anyone purchased this? Still very new, they are marketing this as a better version of the HOB-1.

AquaMaxx-HOB-1.5-Hang-On-Back-Protein-Skimmer-98.jpg

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a negative nancy, but those videos and reviews for the HOB 1 are not good at all.
The motor is in the water column still. That will probably cause heat fluctuations. Saltwater and bioload on the pump does not sound fun to clean. That open space where the water goes back in looks like a flood waiting to happen. Plus salt creep. I am going to stick with the Reef Octopus BH1000

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will probably cause heat fluctuations.
No it really doesn't. I have the HOB-1 and I don't have that issue.
Saltwater and bioload on the pump does not sound fun to clean.
Cleaning is no different than cleaning any other skimmer. Things have to be cleaned even if the water flows only flows into the pump.
That open space where the water goes back in looks like a flood waiting to happen.
That would only happen if a large object clogs the output tube. Not possible since the intake only allows for 1mm particles to pass through.
Plus salt creep.
Salt creep? In this hobby? HAHA! ;)

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many other skimmers have you cleaned?
Are you implying you never have to clean your BH1000 or did you just start a "I bet I've cleaned more skimmers than you!" contest?

I can't tell if you are serious or trolling here.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked you a question and a very simple one.. You said it is no different than cleaning any other skimmer. So to me that implies you have cleaned different ones. If you are happy with your life with the Aquamaxx 1. Great for you. I can see the difference between the Reef Octopus BH1000 and the Aquamaxx 1 and it is looking no different from the 1.5.
You are talking to me like the actual product has an account here to make sure you are not talking bad or good about it. I came here to talk and share what I see for a difference as explained in my first response that you kindly decided to dissect instead of just talking like normal human beings. I will now click the ignore button for you. Take care! To anyone else. Enjoy the conversationalist. o_O

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked you a question and a very simple one.. You said it is no different than cleaning any other skimmer. So to me that implies you have cleaned different ones. If you are happy with your life with the Aquamaxx 1. Great for you. I can see the difference between the Reef Octopus BH1000 and the Aquamaxx 1 and it is looking no different from the 1.5.
You are talking to me like the actual product has an account here to make sure you are not talking bad or good about it. I came here to talk and share what I see for a difference as explained in my first response that you kindly decided to dissect instead of just talking like normal human beings. I will now click the ignore button for you. Take care! To anyone else. Enjoy the conversationalist. o_O
I'm so lost. I asked if anyone had experience with the new 1.5 and you(without owning one) took it into a Aquamaxx HOB bashing thread based solely on opinion without ever actually using one. Then discredited anyone that has ever given a review on these skimmers. Your point was "saltwater and bioload on the pump doesn't sound fun to clean"... My point was, it needs to get cleaned anyway. All skimmers have to be cleaned whether i've cleaned only one skimmer or 500 different types. The similarity between them all is cleaning. Furthermore, I wasn't looking for the best HOB skimmer and I for one wouldn't pick one that could potentially have a leaking gasket. To each their own. What works for you is fine. But this negativity isn't pertaining to the question of this thread.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my two cents. I had an Aquamaxx HOB1 and thought it was one of the best performing HOB skimmers that I've ever owned. Prior to that, 15 years earlier I had a Precision Marine venturi HOB which was a great performer back in the day. Anyone remember that one? :D The Aquamaxx HOB-1s known issue with the venturi clogging with salt creep is a very simple fix. Once a week during water change day, I'd nuke a few ounces of RO water and feed the end of the airline intake into the hot water. That would suck the hot water through the venturi and flush out any accumulated salt creep. Simple and easy step to maintain a very well performing HOB skimmer. As far as the new design goes, it looks like they made the bubble plate bigger than before. I guess that they should call it the HOB-2 as this is actually the third redesign/improvement of the bubble plate. As far as Reef Octopus HOBs go, I've never had one so I can't comment. However, if I did, I'd be interested in the Classic 90 HOB as it maintains the classical cylinder skimmer shape for an HOB skimmer.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my two cents. I had an Aquamaxx HOB1 and thought it was one of the best performing HOB skimmers that I've ever owned. Prior to that, 15 years earlier I had a Precision Marine venturi HOB which was a great performer back in the day. Anyone remember that one? :D The Aquamaxx HOB-1s known issue with the venturi clogging with salt creep is a very simple fix. Once a week during water change day, I'd nuke a few ounces of RO water and feed the end of the airline intake into the hot water. That would suck the hot water through the venturi and flush out any accumulated salt creep. Simple and easy step to maintain a very well performing HOB skimmer. As far as the new design goes, it looks like they made the bubble plate bigger than before. I guess that they should call it the HOB-2 as this is actually the third redesign/improvement of the bubble plate. As far as Reef Octopus HOBs go, I've never had one so I can't comment. However, if I did, I'd be interested in the Classic 90 HOB as it maintains the classical cylinder skimmer shape for an HOB skimmer.
They say they modified the pump attachment also. The picture I saw showed the venturi inlet attached differently. That inlet is this skimmers only downfall, imo. I used to run this skimmer on a standard tank. Often times having gunk cover the intake pipe required me to perform weekly maintenance. Now that I have this on an AIO, it's dramatically changed to cleaning just the pump and vent once a month and the box every 2 months. If they eliminated the salt creep on the venturi inlet, I'll buy it tomorrow.

flowflezy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this skimmer before no issues. Only problem was purging it, once u no how to do this it's an awesome skimmer. And I think super easy to clean and put back together. I currently have a omega vertec 130. The aqua max does a good job and a space saver for you sump!

915MANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed a new HOB skimmer from Aquamaxx. The HOB-1.5. Has anyone purchased this? Still very new, they are marketing this as a better version of the HOB-1.

AquaMaxx-HOB-1.5-Hang-On-Back-Protein-Skimmer-98.jpg

I picked one up for my 20g Long. It works really good, before that I had a remora hob. This one is pretty nice, started skimming right away. It also feels nice since the plastic is pretty thick. Let me know if you have any questions.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked one up for my 20g Long. It works really good, before that I had a remora hob. This one is pretty nice, started skimming right away. It also feels nice since the plastic is pretty thick. Let me know if you have any questions.
How long have you used it? Can you post some updates on cleaning or maintenance needs? The HOB 1 has this salt creep issue in the venturi tube(aka long yellow tube). Let me know how it goes. Thanks!

Gator1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned and cleaned many skimmers over the years. I currently have the next gen aquamaxx hob-1, and can say it is no harder than any other skimmer to clean, and performs better than most in its skimming action. I will say, though, it is a little louder than most - not a good skimmer for a bedroom tank imo.

As far as the Venturi getting clogged with salt, all Venturi type skimmers that I've used have this issue - I simply stick the air intake into the tank water for 30 seconds once in a while.

915MANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you used it? Can you post some updates on cleaning or maintenance needs? The HOB 1 has this salt creep issue in the venturi tube(aka long yellow tube). Let me know how it goes. Thanks!

I barely got it this week. But Ill let you know

915MANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the skimmer. It does have a little salt creep from the bubbles. But Im going to stuff the outlet with some filter floss and ill be good. Pulls some good junk out

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the skimmer. It does have a little salt creep from the bubbles. But Im going to stuff the outlet with some filter floss and ill be good. Pulls some good junk out
That may not work well. Might cause some back pressure. What kind of tank is it?

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing with my JBJ 30 and it helped with the bubbles. I did have salt creep on the gray tubes coming out pf the water though.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing with my JBJ 30 and it helped with the bubbles. I did have salt creep on the gray tubes coming out pf the water though.
I have the JBJ 30 with the Aquamaxx HOB-1 and I don't have a bubble issue? o_O

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a AquaMax 1.0 and I've been having issues with the foam bubbles escaping though the sides of the collection cup. Ive turned the screw that tightens the side but some bubbles still get through

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back