New Aquarium Placement

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, been starting the massive amounts of research I need todo to prepare for a jump to saltwater after having fresh only for a decade. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future but right now starting with aquarium placement I wanted to ask about the possibilities of any kind of cross contamination. Ideally I'd like to keep the aquarium in a room with my other animals, which includes a 150 gallon turtle tank, and a few reptiles/amphibians. So after reading about how candles and the like can be an issue I'm worried about keeping it near other animals? I'm not sure if that's just me being paranoid but think its worth a shot asking you guys.

Obviously I will take proper precaution to avoid any kind of physical contamination, more so worried about an open top aquarium and if anything in the air can effect the aquarium from my other animals being in the same room. Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be a problem with cross-contamination, especially if you also keeping a saltwater iguana? Cleaning the terrarium glass with Windex (ammonia?). I got hammered on here in a discussion about candles and contamination. I have to admit I don't know what people are putting in their candles these days but a little soot and CO2 from a burning wax candle isn't as risky as the potential of a house fire from the same candle. That said, do you have properly grounded 3 prong house wiring?

Being safe is a good thing to think about but it is probably not necessary to worry about. I suspect your critter habitat is as safe as a piranha and snapping turtle system can be, right? :)

Real advice; Start a build thread! Your creatures will be safe.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be a problem with cross-contamination, especially if you also keeping a saltwater iguana? Cleaning the terrarium glass with Windex (ammonia?). I got hammered on here in a discussion about candles and contamination. I have to admit I don't know what people are putting in their candles these days but a little soot and CO2 from a burning wax candle isn't as risky as the potential of a house fire from the same candle. That said, do you have properly grounded 3 prong house wiring?

Being safe is a good thing to think about but it is probably not necessary to worry about. I suspect your critter habitat is as safe as a piranha and snapping turtle system can be, right? :)

Real advice; Start a build thread! Your creatures will be safe.
Lol no marine iguanas or Windex! I think your right I'm probably thinking a little overboard with the cross-contam risks, once I get a more solid plan in place I'll defiantly start a build thread. Thank you!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back