New BTA is expelling something?

AustiniteReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 30, 2020
Messages
52
Reaction score
68
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this BTA delivered in the morning, temp and drip acclimated, and its settled down in a small hole in my rock. It's tentacles look alright, not super bubbly but not stringy. I noticed it's mouth isn't gaping, but it is expelling this brown gunk... Is it poop or zooxanthella? Is this normal for a nem that just got shipped? Should I be worried? ;Nailbiting

IMG_3074.jpg
 
Likely Zooxanthellae, could also just be regular waste. It is normal under new lighting, water conditions in a new system as it adjusts or when stressed. If it shows the other signs of infection or further stress then I would start to worry.
 
Likely Zooxanthellae, could also just be regular waste. It is normal under new lighting, water conditions in a new system as it adjusts or when stressed. If it shows the other signs of infection or further stress then I would start to worry.
Ok... as of now it hasn't moved spots and doesn't look like it's melting. My nassarius snail climbed up on the rock and had this tube out (like in the attachment) that was sniffing the brown stuff for a minute or so then went back to the sand.

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 3.40.21 PM.png
 
I wouldn’t worry since you just got it and the nem looks healthy
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new