New bubble coral dying?

bennyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just bought my first bubble coral today from a lfs and put it in my Fluval evo 13.5. It looked like it was doing great (normal looking bubbles) when I first introduced it to the tank. I went to work for 5-6 hours, came back and it looked like this (see pictures below). It was under mostly white/blue light and now is under blue since it’s evening. I am brand new to this game and don’t know what to look for. Is it dying?

One quick note, I just fed the tank and when small pieces of food landed on the bubble, the coral seemed to react. The little tentacles are out and seem to be waving (although that may just be due to flow).

Anyway, I don’t know if it’s dying or just part of the daily bubble cycle I’m not used to.

Any advice or insight would be amazing! Thank you.

IMG_2114.jpeg IMG_2115.jpeg IMG_2116.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the water parameters? We need to know to offer more advise.

If you just put it in today, then it might still be acclimating to your tank, sometimes it takes a few hours up to a few days.

The tank looks brand new, bubble coral is a more sensitive coral (not really a begginer coral), and might not be comfortable in a brand new tank. The flow looks fine for it, but there is much more to consider.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a video so yall can see the flow…
For some reason, i can’t play the video.

The bubble coral is a very delicate coral to handle in my opinion- i have never had much luck and as a result, i don‘t have any anymore!

They tend not to like too much flow- just enough to keep the polyps nice and flowy. The same goes for light, 50-150 PAR will be good for them.

Share some water parameters with us and we might be better suited to help you :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how it's feeling but bubble corals do that all the time just like anemones. If it stays like that for a couple of days, it probably is stressed by something in your set up but very hard to tell.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back