Joseph3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1466.jpeg

Hello everyone,

I finally upgraded from a 15 gallon to a 40 gallon breeder with a sump and wanted to share my build, as well as ask for stocking advice. I’m proud to say I’ve managed to hide all of the plumbing and power heads in the rock work. And by using water level sensors in the sump to control the return pump, I am able to balance the flow to and from the display tank with out using an overflow. But, I still have a lot left to do including, setting up the protein skimmer, adding a ATO system, getting better lights, and most importantly stocking the tank.

I have a few ideas but I’d love some feedback as my scape is fairly minimal and I’m not sure how many fish territories it can support. How many fish do you think I can comfortably get? 4-5?

-Clarki Clown (first resident)
-Royal Gramma
-Talbots Damsel
-Cherub Angelfish

I have a feeling this is going to be shot down quickly and I feel bad even suggesting it, but the kole eye tang only grows to 5.9 inches (15cm) according to fish base. Would it be happy in a 40 gallon? https://www.fishbase.se/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=6015&lang=italian

I’m open to any other suggestions, too.

Thanks!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1466.jpeg

Hello everyone,

I finally upgraded from a 15 gallon to a 40 gallon breeder with a sump and wanted to share my build, as well as ask for stocking advice. I’m proud to say I’ve managed to hide all of the plumbing and power heads in the rock work. And by using water level sensors in the sump to control the return pump, I am able to balance the flow to and from the display tank with out using an overflow. But, I still have a lot left to do including, setting up the protein skimmer, adding a ATO system, getting better lights, and most importantly stocking the tank.

I have a few ideas but I’d love some feedback as my scape is fairly minimal and I’m not sure how many fish territories it can support. How many fish do you think I can comfortably get? 4-5?

-Clarki Clown (first resident)
-Royal Gramma
-Talbots Damsel
-Cherub Angelfish

I have a feeling this is going to be shot down quickly and I feel bad even suggesting it, but the kole eye tang only grows to 5.9 inches (15cm) according to fish base. Would it be happy in a 40 gallon? https://www.fishbase.se/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=6015&lang=italian

I’m open to any other suggestions, too.

Thanks!
I think you should be good! Cherubs are small about 3 inches fully grown. Just add the angel last, they do better with a more mature tank with algae for them to pick off the rocks! Great fish. Damsel may be a problem, I’ve had chill ones and my current one was a butt until my maroon clown put him in check, so you may want to add him after the angel so every one can establish territory before it! Just depends on the fish’s individual personality!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 40-gallon? 6-8 small to medium fish would be fine. No, your tang would definitely not be happy and you'd incur the wrath of the Tang Police. The angel will probably be fine (but they also prefer more swim area).

OP
OP
Joseph3

Joseph3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should be good! Cherubs are small about 3 inches fully grown. Just add the angel last, they do better with a more mature tank with algae for them to pick off the rocks! Great fish. Damsel may be a problem, I’ve had chill ones and my current one was a butt until my maroon clown put him in check, so you may want to add him after the angel so every one can establish territory before it! Just depends on the fish’s individual personality!
Thanks for the advice! I’ll make sure to add the cherub and damsel last.

OP
OP
Joseph3

Joseph3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 40-gallon? 6-8 small to medium fish would be fine. No, your tang would definitely not be happy and you'd incur the wrath of the Tang Police. The angel will probably be fine (but they also prefer more swim area).
Yep, that’s what I thought. Thanks for saving me from the tang police.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that’s what I thought. Thanks for saving me from the tang police.
Agreed on the tang for sure! And based on the rocks I think the cherub would have room to swim they are the smallest! That’s the only angel I think you could put the others wouldn’t be happy

OP
OP
Joseph3

Joseph3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the tang for sure! And based on the rocks I think the cherub would have room to swim they are the smallest! That’s the only angel I think you could put the others wouldn’t be happy
Thanks! I’ll make sure to stick to the cherub.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back