New Build! Calling it Big Blue Reef

Will_W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found a deal on a new RedSea Reefer at my local fish store and i am super excited to start a new tank! Its going to be a challenge as the front corner seal is busted.... but we have a glass guy who is willing to come to the house and pull the front glass off and reseal it entirely. and if that isn't good enough they are going to fabricate a Euro brace around the top edge for extra support! when I get it I am going to upload some pictures and try to be much more active in progress pics and replies!

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds cool! It may be worth having them add some extra support on the base of the tank to help keep those seals strong. Are you going with the red sea stand or custom stand?

OP
OP
Will_W

Will_W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it with the Stand and the Sump. I like that idea about extra support around the base of it. No idea why i didnt think of that as well... Im gonna have to look up some ideas for that. Thanks for the idea

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it with the Stand and the Sump. I like that idea about extra support around the base of it. No idea why i didnt think of that as well... Im gonna have to look up some ideas for that. Thanks for the idea
I forget what the real name of it is, but it looks like a eurobrace on the bottom of the inside of the tank. Second hand red sea tanks have a bad habit of blowing a seem and any extra support could go a long way. Also ensure there are no gaps between the tank and stand.

OP
OP
Will_W

Will_W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to pick it up and had to call in some major favors to help me unload it and this thing is no joke.... son of a gun was ridiculously heavy but it is in place now! Definitely have a lot of cleaning to do all over. Gonna replace some parts and it's gonna be a fun project! Pics to come!

OP
OP
Will_W

Will_W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some from loading it up and after it was set in place

Attachments

• 20231020_193229.jpg
    20231020_193229.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20231021_091621.jpg
    20231021_091621.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20231020_172258.jpg
    20231020_172258.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Will_W

Will_W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I ordered some replacement parts, door hinges, openers, return outlets and o rings. Does anyone have random flow generators? Thinking about adding some but I was also thinking a pair of gyres. One on each side facing the front.... a lot to figure out still. Control system.... lighting... sump parts... that's even before I can think of aquascaping and livestock

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to pick it up and had to call in some major favors to help me unload it and this thing is no joke.... son of a gun was ridiculously heavy but it is in place now! Definitely have a lot of cleaning to do all over. Gonna replace some parts and it's gonna be a fun project! Pics to come!
Congrats! Your definitely going the right route by having a pro pull and reseal the glass. Good idea for the extra reinforcement. Red sea tanks are HEAVY. I have a 130dd and live in a 3rd floor condo my wife and I barely got it up the stairs, even with a hand made for them.

OP
OP
Will_W

Will_W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it took 4 guys all we had (and two of them lift big weights 6-700lb deadlifts) both those guys were out of breath moving this tank. Thank goodness there were no stairs and some moving dollies

Last edited:
OP
OP
Will_W

Will_W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today my 7 year old future stepson and I did a lot of scraping in the sump trying to remove some of the old growth from it. He seems excited and we talked about how the water is going to flow and the stages of the sump and how it is going to work. He was a bit sad that the refugium was going to be in the back and not the front so if I flip the sump around I will have to redo all the pipes and plumbing that came with the tank.

OP
OP
Will_W

Will_W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life has gotten in the way a bit but here is the current update.
So far I have replaced lots of smaller parts (overflow screens, corroded hinges, sponges, ato floats and lines, Return plumbing fittings). Got a new 5 stage RODI system from BRS. and I have deep cleaned the glass for the display, overflow, sump, and the ATO tank. Major cleaning and scraping and more cleaning and more scraping repeat.

Still to do:
- Get the tank to the shop for reseal and custom lower seal bracing, eurobracing
- I am going to have additional power outlets put in at the tanks location with its own breaker.
Start ordering equipment:
- Control System - ?
- Return Pump - Syncra 1000-2500 GPH
- Skimmer - Reefer DC 900 Protien Skimmer
- Display Powerheads - Gyre XF330 x 2
- Heaters - BRS Titanium
- Lighting - AP9X LED Light Panel x 2

Trying to narrow down equipment for this system. one thing i havent figured out is what type of control system i am going to use. Does anyone have any experience both pros and cons for the Coralvue Hydros system vs. Neptune Apex? any help or advice is extremely helpful!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back