New build - how many outlets?

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a large-ish aquarium that will be 7 feet by 30'' by 26'' with a 48'' sump. Thinking of getting two dedicated electrical outlets, should I get two 15 amps or do 2 20 amps or do one of each? What are the pros and cons of each approach?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a pair of 20 amp to the 15 that was already in the wall. I have one just for heaters - my largest electrical consumer at more than 2000 watts. The other two split between the metal halides, flow and return pumps and other misc stuff.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20a circuits over 15a. Either way, 2 or 4 circuits. Reasoning; if you're running the wire to panel, may as well be running 12/3 romex,or 14/3 for 15a, instead of 12/2. 12/2 serves 1 circuit, 12/3 serves 2 circuits with one wire running into panel

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However many you put in, make sure you (or an electrician) runs a separate neutral for each circuit. It's not uncommon to have MWB (multi wire branch) circuits where you run multiple hots but only a single neutral. However, NEC requires ALL circuits to be disconnected if any of them trip.* While that generally isn't a huge deal, if you're trying to keep the entire tank from losing power if something happens, having a shared neutral, if wired up to code, will defeat the purpose. Of course, you can wire a MWB circuit with regular breakers, but that can introuduce other problems.

In any case, I'd run each of them with their own neutral. Also, assuming power in [checks OP] Canada is the same as it is in the US, I'd also make sure, if possible, that if there's two or more cicruits, they use both phases of power. Not that we have a lot of need for 240v at a fish tank, but it's nice to know it's there.

*No idea if this is true for Canada, but I think your code is similar to ours, if not a bit stricter (safer).

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a pair of 20 amp to the 15 that was already in the wall. I have one just for heaters - my largest electrical consumer at more than 2000 watts. The other two split between the metal halides, flow and return pumps and other misc stuff.
Fair point, but I think running metal halides is now something of a rarity.

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I'm hearing so far is that 20 amps is better than 15 amps. Is there a downside in using 20 amps ever?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar size tank 36x72x24 tall.. my entire tank ran off a single circuit for a long time then I started popping the gfci when my 3rd metal halide would fire up.. I took all my lighting and put it on a single circuit and all my flow on a separate one.. with that being said 2 circuits are more than enough.. my tank pulls 12amps with 1000w of metal halides and xho’s sitting above it.that includes, flow, skimmer, heater etc.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefering1...although 12/3 would have been the way to do it years ago, sharing a neutral will not work if you are using GFI outlets

ryan265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least 2 outlets on 2 separate breakers. I’ve had 1 trip several times but was ok due to not being totally without power…

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could plan it out from a total required power perspective
(assuming Canada uses 120 volts, though I have no idea)
20 amps at 120 volts is 2400 watts
15 amps at 120 volts is 1800 watts

Add up the power from your heaters, lights, and pumps and multiply by some safety factor (you don't want to run at 100% capacity) and see how that compares against a 20 amp circuit and decide how many you want/need.

This will give you a chance to research/plan out all your gear if you haven't already.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair point, but I think running metal halides is now something of a rarity.

You are likely going to use just as much wattage lighting that tank with LEDs or another light source. 750w, or more, if you want to have more than just softies and some LPS. If you want to have very low light with just a few Kessils or some Prime or somthing, then that is less power, but you likely will want more later.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back