New Build: Peninsula Tank Mixed Reef

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I’m in the planning stage. Interested in a peninsula tank. I’m looking at the Red Sea 650, Waterbox 7225, or Innovative Marine EXT 200.

At this time I really am favoring the Innovative Marine because of the depth of 30”.

Any thoughts, recommendations?
I will be posting in this thread regarding equipment plans.

First question regarding sump:

I already have the BashSea 3018 - 30 x 18x 16H. It’s 37 gallons. Would it fit the ~190 gallon IM tank?

Last edited:

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded from Aqueon 75G to IM 200 INT and I absolutely love it. I would imagine the 200 EXT to be better since you don't lose any space inside the tank for the overflow box. I would think the Bashsea 3018 should work, depending on what you want to do with it and what size refugium (if any) you want to have. you can always upgrade as you go. congrats on the build.

the IM 200 INT or EXT are not the peninsula type tank though, I am sure you know that, just wanted to make sure :)

OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded from Aqueon 75G to IM 200 INT and I absolutely love it. I would imagine the 200 EXT to be better since you don't lose any space inside the tank for the overflow box. I would think the Bashsea 3018 should work, depending on what you want to do with it and what size refugium (if any) you want to have. you can always upgrade as you go. congrats on the build.

the IM 200 INT or EXT are not the peninsula type tank though, I am sure you know that, just wanted to make sure :)

I was looking at this tank:

Really would have been nice if it came with the plumbing. I just love the deeper footprint.

Because volume is not the issue I plan on using sump just to keep equipment.

Sump. BashSea 3018
Lights: ReefBreeders Photon V2 32” x 2
Skimmer: Not sure yet
Return: Varios 6 ?
Control: Apex

I

AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at this tank:

Really would have been nice if it came with the plumbing. I just love the deeper footprint.

Because volume is not the issue I plan on using sump just to keep equipment.

Sump. BashSea 3018
Lights: ReefBreeders Photon V2 32” x 2
Skimmer: Not sure yet
Return: Varios 6 ?
Control: Apex

I
yes, that's a beautiful tank, the only thing I was a little upset with IM was the lack of plumbing and sump. What sold me on it was the APS stand and their customer service.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant go wrong with any of them really.
I have the RS 650P with photon V2+ I am setting up.

I got RS vs WB as at the time they had it in stock where WB was a few months out.
IF i was to do it again I would go WB over RS.
at the time IM was not offering there peninsula that does intrigue me too I see why you're thinking about it.

look in to glass cages ( there Fb page has better photos) they can make you any size tank at a pretty good price. that way you can get the dems. you want. coupled with a T slot stand and your Banshsea sump and your off.

let us know what you go with, like I said cant go wrong with any of them I do like my 650p

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was just tank shopping for you...LOL @joe@glasscages can get you a 240 wide 72x 30x 25 for around $1522
I was locked in to a red sea tank- long story there - but if I was looking today I would really look in to that tank.

OP
OP
O

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was just tank shopping for you...LOL @joe@glasscages can get you a 240 wide 72x 30x 25 for around $1522
I was locked in to a red sea tank- long story there - but if I was looking today I would really look in to that tank.

Lol thanks!! Now I'm gonna have to look into this!!

Btw what do you mean a T slot stand?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

ScampyTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant go wrong with any of them really.
I have the RS 650P with photon V2+ I am setting up.

I got RS vs WB as at the time they had it in stock where WB was a few months out.
IF i was to do it again I would go WB over RS.
at the time IM was not offering there peninsula that does intrigue me too I see why you're thinking about it.

look in to glass cages ( there Fb page has better photos) they can make you any size tank at a pretty good price. that way you can get the dems. you want. coupled with a T slot stand and your Banshsea sump and your off.

let us know what you go with, like I said cant go wrong with any of them I do like my 650p
hey! I am a little late to the thread but wondering why you'd pick WB over RS if you could redo? I am deciding between the RS 650P and the WB peninsula 6025 too!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey! I am a little late to the thread but wondering why you'd pick WB over RS if you could redo? I am deciding between the RS 650P and the WB peninsula 6025 too!

IDK dont get me wrong RS are nice. but there are a few think I dont care about my 650P

1. the stand is NOT 100% plywood I thought it was drilled into if for plumping support they prety much fell out with little pressure on it.

2. the ends are not the same as the doors not to much of a big deal but IMHO they should be for that price point.

3. the AIO res. is way to small it might get you a few days. so I look at it as a free project tank.

4. this is a big one for me. i think they need to redesign the layout of the stand. why in the hell is the controller cabbie under the overflow pipes? yeah lets put thousands of dollars of life support under a high point of failure . I think its old schoold where ppl where running chillers and needed vents but not a ton of ppl run them these days with LEDS lights cutting down the heat.
IMHO it should be on the end of the tank.

5. doors only open from 1 side IMHO they should open on both sides.

6. had to build a manifold WB comes with it build in.

7. metric plumbing took be for ever to find the parts i needed to convert to US standard

8. RS support is Ok but WB feels like there hobbyist and care a bit more.

both are great tanks but if i was doing it again I would go with WB 7225 or a custom build from joe at glass cages and a DIY stand.

good luck man!

ScampyTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK dont get me wrong RS are nice. but there are a few think I dont care about my 650P

1. the stand is NOT 100% plywood I thought it was drilled into if for plumping support they prety much fell out with little pressure on it.

2. the ends are not the same as the doors not to much of a big deal but IMHO they should be for that price point.

3. the AIO res. is way to small it might get you a few days. so I look at it as a free project tank.

4. this is a big one for me. i think they need to redesign the layout of the stand. why in the hell is the controller cabbie under the overflow pipes? yeah lets put thousands of dollars of life support under a high point of failure . I think its old schoold where ppl where running chillers and needed vents but not a ton of ppl run them these days with LEDS lights cutting down the heat.
IMHO it should be on the end of the tank.

5. doors only open from 1 side IMHO they should open on both sides.

6. had to build a manifold WB comes with it build in.

7. metric plumbing took be for ever to find the parts i needed to convert to US standard

8. RS support is Ok but WB feels like there hobbyist and care a bit more.

both are great tanks but if i was doing it again I would go with WB 7225 or a custom build from joe at glass cages and a DIY stand.

good luck man!
wow thanks for this detailed reply, super helpful as i am trying to make a decision..will keep everyone posted!

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went with Glasscages for my 375, Joe is a real pleasure to work with.

For the sump, I would go as big as you can fit, seems like as soon as you get everything you want in there equipment wise, you find something else that "needs" to go down there and then you start running out of room. I currently have a 75 gallon and a 40 gallon as my fuge/sump combination.

I am a big DIY guy, so I like to do every thing I can myself. And then make it better as I go along. Just remember, what ever you decide, HAVE FUN!!!! Its what it is all about.

Mike

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back