New build question: tanks with integrated sumps

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't you achieve the same by making the overflow like the AIO style, so that the back wall of the display doesn't have a little tall box going up the wall? At the very least you'd get a bit of space back into the display, no?
Some manufacturers do. CADE has their return on one side and the RO reservoir on the other.
Is there a reason why most plug n play tank + sump manufactures make their overflow boxes inside the display? I don't like the look of a rectangle box in the middle of the display- does that make sense?
Yes, it's so you can push it flush/flat against the wall. It's also so that the plumbing extends through the stand and not behind it (easier for maintenance and to provide some protection for the plumbing).

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some manufacturers do. CADE has their return on one side and the RO reservoir on the other.

Yes, it's so you can push it flush/flat against the wall. It's also so that the plumbing extends through the stand and not behind it (easier for maintenance and to provide some protection for the plumbing).

yep i think there are pros/cons to both, having the overflow inside usually makes it easier to fit things correctly with a stand and hood as well.
Ah, that makes sense.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well said Blaxsun. the only observation i would make is that the volume of the ATO needs to be small enough so that if it empties into the system it will not overflow it.
A small mini-addendum to this (that resulted in me spilling some water onto my floor until I fine-tuned things some more): Consider every thing that holds water in your sump when setting the water level. That include the skimmer, media reactors, UV sterilizer, etc. If it has water in it while your return pump is running, that water will ultimately flow down into the sump. Typically this won't be enough to flood out over your sump (it's basically equivalent to an extra 1-2 gallons, depending on the size of your equipment), but if you have the water level in your sump set too high it can flood in a power-off situation.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small mini-addendum to this (that resulted in me spilling some water onto my floor until I fine-tuned things some more): Consider every thing that holds water in your sump when setting the water level. That include the skimmer, media reactors, UV sterilizer, etc. If it has water in it while your return pump is running, that water will ultimately flow down into the sump. Typically this won't be enough to flood out over your sump (it's basically equivalent to an extra 1-2 gallons, depending on the size of your equipment), but if you have the water level in your sump set too high it can flood in a power-off situation.
lol.. very true!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back