New build starting soon

luciencote101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Well where to begin I am starting a new build as soon as we close in the new house. I got a really good deal on a used acrylic tank. The tank was 2 years old and is a center overflow. First time using one of those for me. It is a 96L X 24D X 30H I am using a trigger 39 platinum sump with built in fleece roller new a reef octopus 180 elite. I am also using 3 Orpheck atlantik V4.2 led lights. I also have an apex EL that will be installed along with the trident and DOS. I also will be adding 4 wavs as well. I am thinking of adding a reef octopus calcium reactor down the line. I would appreciate any input and information that anyone has or any ideas as well. Like I stated I have never had a tank with a center overflow. Also this tank has basically a full top not basic euro bracing. I am wondering if this may present an issue

1E2FD41F-EE14-4B6F-BD1B-253CFEC73487.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! My new tank will have Eurobracing, you don't want to put any weight on it as it will not hold it. So for water changes in such, you will want to lift the bucket above the bracing to dump it in. I actually built a water mixing station, so I will just pump the water in and not use any buckets.

OP
OP
L

luciencote101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! My new tank will have Eurobracing, you don't want to put any weight on it as it will not hold it. So for water changes in such, you will want to lift the bucket above the bracing to dump it in.
All my water changes will be done automatically with a Kamoer dosing pump I have

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Well where to begin I am starting a new build as soon as we close in the new house. I got a really good deal on a used acrylic tank. The tank was 2 years old and is a center overflow. First time using one of those for me. It is a 96L X 24D X 30H I am using a trigger 39 platinum sump with built in fleece roller new a reef octopus 180 elite. I am also using 3 Orpheck atlantik V4.2 led lights. I also have an apex EL that will be installed along with the trident and DOS. I also will be adding 4 wavs as well. I am thinking of adding a reef octopus calcium reactor down the line. I would appreciate any input and information that anyone has or any ideas as well. Like I stated I have never had a tank with a center overflow. Also this tank has basically a full top not basic euro bracing. I am wondering if this may present an issue
That's a lot of Tank congrats! I just finished setting up a 220 and the best advice I can give you is take your time. Think everything thru, every connection. Double and triple test things and make it a long project. Depending on where you are placing the tank you may want to consider reinforcing the floor, that is what I needed to do. I also went with a trident and apex system, recommend the ATO as well with the doser. I recommend 2 return pumps. I went with a Aquamaxx cone series skimmer. Initial use seems great, but its only been running for 2 weeks. High quality skimmer IMO.
Finding a good coverage of flow can be tough on long tanks, Icecap makes new multi way flow pumps that magnet to the back of the tank, consider checking those out as they provide more flow throughout the tank, of course still have the wavs on the side, but this may provide better coverage in combination with 2 or 3 wavs.
I run 2 little fishes 550 reactors with denitrate (Flow MUST remain <50gph). May add a 150 with GFO in the future, not sure if I will need it.

OP
OP
L

luciencote101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of Tank congrats! I just finished setting up a 220 and the best advice I can give you is take your time. Think everything thru, every connection. Double and triple test things and make it a long project. Depending on where you are placing the tank you may want to consider reinforcing the floor, that is what I needed to do. I also went with a trident and apex system, recommend the ATO as well with the doser. I recommend 2 return pumps. I went with a Aquamaxx cone series skimmer. Initial use seems great, but its only been running for 2 weeks. High quality skimmer IMO.
Finding a good coverage of flow can be tough on long tanks, Icecap makes new multi way flow pumps that magnet to the back of the tank, consider checking those out as they provide more flow throughout the tank, of course still have the wavs on the side, but this may provide better coverage in combination with 2 or 3 wavs.
I have 2 maxspect xf230 for the rear. I have to look but placement of the tank is across the floor joists at the center carry beam so I will be looking closely at the floor loading

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 maxspect xf230 for the rear. I have to look but placement of the tank is across the floor joists at the center carry beam so I will be looking closely at the floor loading
Mine ran along the joists. Just be careful. I used 4x steel jacks with 6x8s. Was a pretty easy project.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if you have access to the flooring below the tank, but this is what I did. I used 4 Jack post and built a 9ft header out of 2x6's.

1616269109388.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back