New Citron Goby not eating or swimming

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not be that unusual of behavior. This is my Citron Goby, Vokda. Had him for about a year now and he is usually perching somewhere. He will "pop up" for food and go right back down to his perching spot. I rarely see him in the water column.
IMG_3888[1].JPG
IMG_3816[1].JPG

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not be that unusual of behavior. This is my Citron Goby, Vokda. Had him for about a year now and he is usually perching somewhere. He will "pop up" for food and go right back down to his perching spot. I rarely see him in the water column.
IMG_3888[1].JPG
IMG_3816[1].JPG
Does yours do this at all? Notice how he wants to swim but cannot - He literally sits on the sand bed and all day and appears to just get tossed around by the flow. Also has yet to eat.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3888[1].JPG
IMG_3816[1].JPG
Here’s a video of him this morning - doing same thing. Not scared but cannot swim

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m having trouble figuring out how he will eat if he can’t swim. He’s no longer timid but just completely immobilized by the flow.
How was fish acclimated and for how long? Swim bladder is a possibility as this fish was caught and shipped and an internal infection from bag water is not ruled out.
I would not expect immediate feeding after introduction but focus rather on its breathing, water quality and swimming behavior. If swimming behavior becomes an issue, I typically recommend for this Kanaplex but not of use as fish will need to eat to take this med in.
Maracyn 2 would then be an option but in quarantine setting

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was fish acclimated and for how long? Swim bladder is a possibility as this fish was caught and shipped and an internal infection from bag water is not ruled out.
I would not expect immediate feeding after introduction but focus rather on its breathing, water quality and swimming behavior. If swimming behavior becomes an issue, I typically recommend for this Kanaplex but not of use as fish will need to eat to take this med in.
Maracyn 2 would then be an option but in quarantine setting
Are these white dots ich on his top and back fin?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maracyn 2 would then be an option but in jquarantine settingLooks like Lymphocystis which is viral and often due to poor water quality and/or diet, likely at LA facility. Will fall off on its own
Looks like Lymphocystis which is viral and often due to poor water quality and/or diet, likely at LA facility. Will fall off on its own
Are my other fish at risk of this? Should I pull him out? I do have a quarantine tank, but its not cycled and last time I tried to use it - even with changing 50% of the water daily - they died from an ammonia spike and it was incredibly traumatizing.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Are my other fish at risk of this? Should I pull him out? I do have a quarantine tank, but its not cycled and last time I tried to use it - even with changing 50% of the water daily - they died from an ammonia spike and it was incredibly traumatizing.
No not at risk, and often confined to fish itself. Test the water if needed focusing on:
Ammonia
ph
nitrate
salinity

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Lymphocystis which is viral and often due to poor water quality and/or diet, likely at LA facility. Will fall off on its own
At this point I see no world where this fish actually eats - its like his mind is somewhere else entirely. So do I just wait and hope he recovers even if he ends up just wasting away in here?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
At this point I see no world where this fish actually eats - its like his mind is somewhere else entirely. So do I just wait and hope he recovers even if he ends up just wasting away in here?
Wait yes.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait yes.
Unfortunately after 4 days of him being unable to swim and essentially comatose in a corner of the tank between the glass and the rock, somehow still surviving - I made the call to euthanize. Really tough day.

I will be hypervigilant moving forward as far as acclimating - also giving a new vendor a shot with some new arrivals tomorrow.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unfortunately after 4 days of him being unable to swim and essentially comatose in a corner of the tank between the glass and the rock, somehow still surviving - I made the call to euthanize. Really tough day.

I will be hypervigilant moving forward as far as acclimating - also giving a new vendor a shot with some new arrivals tomorrow.
Sorry to hear and sometimes we have to make such decisions

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back