New Classroom Tank, looking for suggestions!

cre1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone! I want to start by saying thank you to all of you on here. I am a high school science teacher, and this year, I have decided to take on the task of turning my classroom tank into a full saltwater environment. I teach chemistry and environmental science, so I figured this would allow me for not only a beautiful aesthetic piece of my classroom, but provide an opportunity to explore ocean water chemistry, symbiotic relationships, and much more. I've probably spent around 50 hours looking through threads and getting advice, recommendations, and opinions you've all been very helpful!

I have a 55g setup as a FOWLR tank right now, but would love to entertain the possibility of transforming it into a reef tank, if possible. But since this tank is at school, I'm on a very tight budget (I also have 2 FW tanks at home ). I'm using most of my FW equipment for now (lights, Hob filters), and updating/adding will have to take some time, unfortunately (also no opportunity for a sump).

I've read some threads on here from others in a similar boat, I was wondering if anyone had any success stories, suggestions, or advice on a classroom reef tank? I love the idea, but I'm worried about maintaining the parameters, spending time away (breaks and such), and budget concerns. Not sure if anyone has advice on grants or donations either, but would welcome that! I'm definitely already hooked, but want everything to go as smoothly as possible, for the tank, my students, and myself!

Thank you all so much!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@AydenLincoln had a recent experience with a tank at a school. Perhaps she can provide some insight regarding funding/proposals?

I don't have much equipment on hand anymore as i've been selling it all via FB marketplace. However, here is a warm welcome: welcome aboard the r2r board! :)

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I want to start by saying thank you to all of you on here. I am a high school science teacher, and this year, I have decided to take on the task of turning my classroom tank into a full saltwater environment. I teach chemistry and environmental science, so I figured this would allow me for not only a beautiful aesthetic piece of my classroom, but provide an opportunity to explore ocean water chemistry, symbiotic relationships, and much more. I've probably spent around 50 hours looking through threads and getting advice, recommendations, and opinions you've all been very helpful!

I have a 55g setup as a FOWLR tank right now, but would love to entertain the possibility of transforming it into a reef tank, if possible. But since this tank is at school, I'm on a very tight budget (I also have 2 FW tanks at home ). I'm using most of my FW equipment for now (lights, Hob filters), and updating/adding will have to take some time, unfortunately (also no opportunity for a sump).

I've read some threads on here from others in a similar boat, I was wondering if anyone had any success stories, suggestions, or advice on a classroom reef tank? I love the idea, but I'm worried about maintaining the parameters, spending time away (breaks and such), and budget concerns. Not sure if anyone has advice on grants or donations either, but would welcome that! I'm definitely already hooked, but want everything to go as smoothly as possible, for the tank, my students, and myself!

Thank you all so much!
A long time ago, I taught Environmental Biology and Physics with a freshwater tank. You have to take into consideration weekends, vacations and summer shut down. Are you close enough to school to check on the tank? Is the school airconditioned in the summer if you decide to leave it there? I went with sunnies and when the year was over, they went into a pond.

OP
OP
cre1024

cre1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A long time ago, I taught Environmental Biology and Physics with a freshwater tank. You have to take into consideration weekends, vacations and summer shut down. Are you close enough to school to check on the tank? Is the school airconditioned in the summer if you decide to leave it there? I went with sunnies and when the year was over, they went into a pond.
I do love that idea! We have a small pond at the school, and we have some freshwater tanks in the department already, so that might be fun!

And yes, I live right next to the school, so I could easily get there to check on everything. The folks that work at the school during summer break (my classroom stays climate controlled) love stopping in to see the tank and feed the fish. With the FW setup I had, I would stop in every 2 weeks or so and do water changes and tank maintenance.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you all so much!
Saltwater fish need to be taken care of on the breaks, so do you have access to the building during these breaks? Saltwater fish shouldnt be moved tank to tank for every break. Thats one thing to consider. Im an armed school officer and on breaks lots of teachers leave their classroom pets and I try my best to feed and care for them. I care for about 15 school tanks over breaks that people leave and forget about while others take them home during breaks. Just something to think about since salt is way more hands on than freshwater when it comes to leaving the tank unattended.

OP
OP
cre1024

cre1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saltwater fish need to be taken care of on the breaks, so do you have access to the building during these breaks? Saltwater fish shouldnt be moved tank to tank for every break. Thats one thing to consider. Im an armed school officer and on breaks lots of teachers leave their classroom pets and I try my best to feed and care for them. I care for about 15 school tanks over breaks that people leave and forget about while others take them home during breaks. Just something to think about since salt is way more hands on than freshwater when it comes to leaving the tank unattended.
Great advice! Yup, I live right by the school, so that's not an issue. Our secretaries love stopping in to see the setup, so feeding and monitoring would be done daily still, with me nearby in a pinch. I would still plan to come in every 1-2 weeks for maintenance anyway.

Thank you for service in your school. I appreciate what you and others in your position bring to our buildings.

Z0RN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d probably stick with freshwater if I were you. Much easier to care for and less expensive. Are you the one footing the bill?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice! Yup, I live right by the school, so that's not an issue. Our secretaries love stopping in to see the setup, so feeding and monitoring would be done daily still, with me nearby in a pinch. I would still plan to come in every 1-2 weeks for maintenance anyway.

Thank you for service in your school. I appreciate what you and others in your position bring to our buildings.
i just didnt know if you had access. My school district only lets the 20 patrol officers in my division have 24/7 access to buildings and when the district is closed no one is allowed in unless they have permission from us! And no problem :) I like protecting my schools

OP
OP
cre1024

cre1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’d probably stick with freshwater if I were you. Much easier to care for and less expensive. Are you the one footing the bill?
Mostly. We have a small budget each year at the school, which helps. The tank is already up and running as a marine FOWLR and healthy, but stuff like a RO/DI system and lighting would be on me at this point.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sponsor the Marine Biology Club at my school (high school), if your school doesn't have a MBC I would recommend trying to start one. The kids in the club maintain the tank; ie water testing, water changes, feeding, top offs, and all other regular work. We have two display tanks (80gal lagoon and a Red Sea E260).

The biggest issue is taking care of the tanks over breaks as I have to go in every 3-4 days to feed and top off since it is not practical to relocate the tanks.

If you can figure out a way to plumb a sump or refugium that would help a lot with tank stability. I remember seeing somewhere a while back where someone had a display refugium plumbed next to the display tank without a sump below, so finding something like that may be helpful for you.

Also, depending on where you are located you can try reaching out to any colleges or universities with a Marine Science program and they may be willing to help you out.

OP
OP
cre1024

cre1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I sponsor the Marine Biology Club at my school (high school), if your school doesn't have a MBC I would recommend trying to start one. The kids in the club maintain the tank; ie water testing, water changes, feeding, top offs, and all other regular work. We have two display tanks (80gal lagoon and a Red Sea E260).

The biggest issue is taking care of the tanks over breaks as I have to go in every 3-4 days to feed and top off since it is not practical to relocate the tanks.

If you can figure out a way to plumb a sump or refugium that would help a lot with tank stability. I remember seeing somewhere a while back where someone had a display refugium plumbed next to the display tank without a sump below, so finding something like that may be helpful for you.

Also, depending on where you are located you can try reaching out to any colleges or universities with a Marine Science program and they may be willing to help you out.
This is awesome, thank you! I love the idea of the MBC. Might be something I pursue.

And yes, it would be impossible to go under the tank (it's sitting on a lab table), but I'll look if putting one in the corner next to it is possible.
Great suggestions!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Join a local reef club. They will likely support your classroom tank. We have a local who has a larger tank in his classroom and they get donations and stuff. I try and sell frags for them when I can. They also started a local club of high school kids.

Be smart. There could be times when you cannot get into the building, so have lots of backups and reliable equipment on separate circuits. Auto feeders, large ATO reservoirs, etc. I imagine that you know all of this.

OP
OP
cre1024

cre1024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just thought I'd update you all, since I've gotten a lot of help so far. I've gotten some donations from companies (Neo Therm heater from Cobalt Aquatics, RO/DI system from BRS, a HOB skimmer from a local business). The tank has a few healthy fish, I'm seeing some good algae growth, and I've had my Environmental Science class perform an investigation to learn about reef keeping and the science behind it. They observed, tested, and researched, and I got some really good feedback on it from them!

Despite my best efforts with my powerheads, I'm still seeing a bit of a flow problem (hence the diatoms around). I'm on the hunt for some gyre wave makers to help alleviate the problem.

But so far, the students and I are loving it! Water parameters are doing well, just waiting on some good lights to bring in some softies
1000019209.jpg
1000019159.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back