ClearView Aquarium Lids Master Thread - It all started RIGHT HERE!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the SCA 66g. My tank was off square so I made sure to take all kinds of measurements and they nailed it for a perfect fit.

Thanks Jimbo! Glad it fit great!

I plan on ordering a lid soon for my 36"x36" rimless tank and have a question. I assume we measure the internal dimensions of the glass and not the exterior dimensions?

You are correct Maximus. Internal dimensions is what we need. The same applies for any overflow boxes within 1/4" of glass top edge as well as any items you need cutouts for such as light mounts. Those dimensions should be taken from inside the glass surfaces also. We are very extensive on the back end with ensuring the measurements we have from you...including oft forgotten cutout needs...are complete before we program and cut your lid. Let us know if you have any other questions!

ITreeferVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
19532cbcbdfb863327c605e0010ddd1b.jpg

Got mine in today!

Everything was nailed except the back is about a cm to big but I am going to ask if I can deemed it or something.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ITreeferVA , our pleasure to assist with your fitment issue there. We can take that in a bit for you and adjust the aggregate dims for that tank's master file to a bit bigger tolerance to adjust for silicone/finished inner dims. We've sent you an email with details.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the email and am looking forward to the repair process (which is not something I could usually say)!
I received new mesh and spline and affected the repair:
I first started by taking out the current spline and mesh. I then tested the fit of just the frame on the tank - it fit well, so this confirmed that the problem I had lay in the mesh pulling the frame out-of-square. With this confirmed, I set out to replace the mesh. I took my time and did my best to keep everything square. I also worked to keep the mesh taught, but not to distort the frame any. I thought about putting in spacers to help prevent such, but decided I didn't want to crack or scratch anything (I doubted such would really happen, but better safe than sorry).
I must say - it is not easy to set the mesh. The spline fits quite snuggly (more-so than the numerous window screens I've done). Pushing it into the channel causes the mesh to be pulled slightly and runs the risk of cutting it. That (the cutting) happened a few times - mostly on the outside edge, though. There's only one spot where the mesh got cut on the inside, and that is in an area where it's unlikely to cause an issue. I'm not worried about it. I found that stretching the spline a bit helped to set it in, but I had to be careful to only stretch it a little, else it would pull the mesh too much and force it out of square. A delicate balance that made me appreciate the factory quality even more. Trimming the mesh was a simple matter; running a blade along the outer edge of the channel snipped the excess mesh cleanly.

When I went to fit the lid back on the tank, it fit better. It's not a perfect fit; until near the end, I didn't account for the spline pulling the mesh as it was set into the channel. I think only the fact that I started off with the mesh loose prevented me from having the same problem as I initially had...

I'm content with the lid - it's better than I could have built myself and will last longer. Doing the repair myself was satisfying. It could have been done better, I'm sure, but I prefer to do for myself when possible - and the result is passable, at least. I appreciate that AA was willing to give me the chance and feel (hope) that it was a win-win solution.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received mine today, out with the old in with the new!!

Thanks for sharing the pics! We LOVE Before/After shots especially =).

IMG_20170315_124812120.jpg
Lid came in today and looks great!! Thanks @ArtFully Acrylic

Thanks for sharing the pic! That's the first pic we've seen of an RSM E260 without the rear vertical wall in place. It MOST DEFINITELY does look great with your new ClearView Lid!

That looks awesome!

Yours will too! On it's way shortly!

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received new mesh and spline and affected the repair:
I first started by taking out the current spline and mesh...I must say - it is not easy to set the mesh. The spline fits quite snuggly...but I had to be careful to only stretch it a little, else it would pull the mesh too much and force it out of square. A delicate balance that made me appreciate the factory quality even more.

I'm content with the lid - it's better than I could have built myself and will last longer. Doing the repair myself was satisfying. It could have been done better, I'm sure, but I prefer to do for myself when possible - and the result is passable, at least. I appreciate that AA was willing to give me the chance and feel (hope) that it was a win-win solution.

We were happy to see you want to attempt the screen replacement yourself. You've provided the first set of feedback from the consumer view on this and it's valuable so we thank you. What's more, you have an even better understanding than most will ever experience on the delicate balance when working with polycarbonate. It's flexibility lends a lot strength (which is indeed why you certainly wouldn't have cracked anything as you feared), but does make it a bit of an art to screen. I've shared your feedback with our screener as a compliment to his efforts.

I got tracking numbers on Monday. Hopefully none of the storms across the country have delayed it and I should get it Saturday.

Being in the DC area we had a run in with one of those storms ourselves on Monday. We look forward to you getting your lid mfinn!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Being in the DC area we had a run in with one of those storms ourselves on Monday. We look forward to you getting your lid mfinn!

I checked the tracking info yesterday after work and saw the shipping and arrival date had changed.
I figured the east coast snow storm had changed everything.
No worries. It will get here when it gets here. :)

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the tracking info yesterday after work and saw the shipping and arrival date had changed.
I figured the east coast snow storm had changed everything.
No worries. It will get here when it gets here. :)

Looks like your lid is scheduled to be delivered on Thursday Mfinn =)

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my Clearview Lid on top of my (not yet ready to set up) euro-braced Reef Savvy 125. Fits like a glove around my two SeaSwirls and inside of the euro-bracing. Very pleased with the way it came out.

IMG_3633.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my Clearview Lid on top of my (not yet ready to set up) euro-braced Reef Savvy 125. Fits like a glove around my two SeaSwirls and inside of the euro-bracing. Very pleased with the way it came out.

IMG_3633.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

Thanks Gary for posting these! They are breathtaking....and your tank isn't even wet yet ;)! We've done quite a few ClearView Lids for @Reef Savvy tanks now, but only seen a few pics with lids in place. Hands down, if I do say so myself, there is NOTHING better to compliment the impeccable build quality of a Reef Savvy tank than a ClearView Lid. Can't wait to see your tank up and running!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Gary for posting these! They are breathtaking....and your tank isn't even wet yet ;)! We've done quite a few ClearView Lids for @Reef Savvy tanks now, but only seen a few pics with lids in place. Hands down, if I do say so myself, there is NOTHING better to compliment the impeccable build quality of a Reef Savvy tank than a ClearView Lid. Can't wait to see your tank up and running!
You're welcome! It is the best way to top off a Reef Savvy that I have seen. I am very happy with it. Now if I can only get the tank up and running! :)

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I still am curious if anyone is seeing any sagging issues after 6+ months of use. Anyone?

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still am curious if anyone is seeing any sagging issues after 6+ months of use. Anyone?

We haven't had any reported issues nor have we seen any with our lids we use in store. Some of our lids in store have been in use for over a year and still look just as good as when they first went on their respective tanks.

Note, we don't expect bowing/warping issues to crop up with the lids as we use polycarbonate/Lexan for our lids...not acrylic. This is a VERY important element of distinction.

Do you guys have one for the Deep Blue 34 Gallon Frag tank?

We don't have that specific frag tank listed on our site, but you can use the following link to order if you like and take advantage of the sale. Please include your internal length and width in the order comments at time of order and we will make sure we obtain any other needed info from you to satisfy your build. Thanks!

http://artfullyacrylic.3dcartstores.com/Deep-Blue-30g-Frag_p_2002.html

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back