New clownfish help

Giancarlo_Flex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank finished cycling after 4 weeks, got 2 clownfish 2 days ago. I just came back from work and see one of the clownfish swimming at tye bottom on top of the sand and did not move when I got near glass. Then a few minutes later I see him swimming normally with the other clown and now moves fast when I get near. Any idea why or should I be worried?
IMG_0593.jpeg

glover69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Clownfish also are not super active, I have a small clown that pretty much stays in their spot all day unless it’s feeding time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So my tank finished cycling after 4 weeks, got 2 clownfish 2 days ago. I just came back from work and see one of the clownfish swimming at tye bottom on top of the sand and did not move when I got near glass. Then a few minutes later I see him swimming normally with the other clown and now moves fast when I get near. Any idea why or should I be worried?
IMG_0593.jpeg

Clown seems to be resisting some very strong water current. Trying lowering the flow a little.
As a test, turn off the flow pumps for 3-5 minutes and see if the swimming becomes normal, then you will know. I dont even see with this current how clown id getting food.
Is it breathing normal or labored? Videos were too short to tell

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem like clowns being clowns. The only recommendation I have for now is to move that lower powerhead up. Can see sand blowing around.

Generally about 1/3 of the way down and pointed slightly upward is a good starting point.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this good
That's better. You can move it up towards the top if you want and have the two powerheads pushing towards each other.

I like the Tidal filter. I have it on my 30g. It's been running for 4years no problems.

You may find that you only need one of those powerheads. If you do I would put one on the other side away from your filter. I only have one in my 30g with my filter and my skimmer. I used to have two and it was way too much flow.

OP
OP
G

Giancarlo_Flex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem like clowns being clowns. The only recommendation I have for now is to move that lower powerhead up. Can see sand blowing around.

Generally about 1/3 of the way down and pointed slightly upward is a good starting point.
Is this good now?
IMG_0599.jpeg

Greyskull_714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my two clowns do that too. It’s like he takes a nap. When I first got him he would lay down 90% of the day. He does it less as he’s getting more comfortable in the tank but he still does it at times

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is this good now?
IMG_0599.jpeg
The question is - have the fish resumed normal swimming with the reduced current?
The tank itself has two power filters which are mechanical and are lacking chemical and biological filtration. You will have to monitor tank water more closely and I do not trust results from either the ammonia badge nor the Api Lits. I encourage you to take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I will never trust a $7 badge or $25 master kit to sustain hundreds of dollars in livestock.

OP
OP
G

Giancarlo_Flex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's better. You can move it up towards the top if you want and have the two powerheads pushing towards each other.

I like the Tidal filter. I have it on my 30g. It's been running for 4years no problems.

You may find that you only need one of those powerheads. If you do I would put one on the other side away from your filter. I only have one in my 30g with my filter and my skimmer. I used to have two and it was way too much flow.
Oh ok thx, someone had told me to get two, so I got a 700gph and 500gph. Thought I needed them for oxygen and flow. Should I remove the one on tue left? I have a 40 gallon tank

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the 700 and put ot on the right up top like you have it and take the 500 out for now. You have oxygen from the filter on the left and it also creates flow by water falling back into the tank. It also makes oxygen that way with surface tension.

Keep the 500 as a back up or add it later if you feel you need more flow later.

I'm not sure what you use to mix saltwater with but I use my back up wavemakers to mix saltwater. If I e er need them bc one dies or for more flow I have them ready to go. A lot of easy corals actually don't love a lot of flow. Sps corals love flow but those are the harder to keep and you'll probably have them up high where the 700 will be blasting them anyways.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back