New coral, and a possible concern

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrcoffee2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2013
Messages
1,097
Reaction score
37
Location
Vermont
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I just bought this coral. I LOVE how it looks, but I am concerned about what I saw when I flipped it over. Do you think that "extra" white area will be ok? I have read that I am seeing the coral skeleton and that is bad.

Also, can you tell me what exact kind of coral this is? My LFS only said it was a LPS coral.

photo 2.jpg
photo 1.jpg
FOT3FD8.jpg


Best,

John
 
Trachyphillia or Wellsophillia (bad spelling ?) and bottom area of concern looks like where it was broken of its original stem/attachment. Beautiful piece.

Cheers, Todd
 
I glued the middle part down. The area of concern is where my index finger is.
 
They do well on sandbed. I would place it there and leave it alone and see how it does.
 
Alright I placed it on the sand bed. How can you tell when this coral is hurting?
 
After moving the coral my yellow clown goby did this...

photo 2.jpg


I think he likes it. Is that going to be a problem?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I paid $75 for it and really do not want to lose it.
 
A lot of gobies will do this :)
It's fun to watch!
There's no real danger here unless your goby is small enough to be at risk of being eaten by the coral. Although you look pretty safe for now :)
It may be time to take action if your goby starts spreading sand onto the coral too, but you can just use a small turkey baster and gently blow the sand away.
 
Livestock Update

Got my new hammer in and it's doing great and got a few Yuma on a stick lol... did some rearranging. ... hope you guys enjoy!
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1389652943157.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389652943157.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 193
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389652963368.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389652963368.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 186
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389652979955.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389652979955.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 196
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389652995617.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389652995617.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 180
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389653008136.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389653008136.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 168
More pics
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1389653051834.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389653051834.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 227
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389653072584.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389653072584.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 178
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389653083347.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389653083347.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 180
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389653104145.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389653104145.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 214
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389653121395.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389653121395.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 217
Looking great!! Love the sexy shrimp in their anemone pic. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new