new coral growth

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take the 'average' coral to grow to medium/large size? I know this is very variable, and takes many months, but as a new reefer, I just want a rough average, so I can tell if I am on track with my corals - so far I have some zoas, some montiporas, favia, xenia, now all about 3wks since placing them in DT.

Thanks

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For zoas, it will vary. I noticed that the original number of heads you have will dictate growth rates. I bought a 4 head zoa and an 8 head zoa at the same time. The 4 head is still at 4 and the 8 is now at 16, so I’d say try to buy 6+ head frags and they will grow faster. It depends on the tank honestly but I see maybe a new head on my bigger frags every week or so

klownfizh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are hit or miss but my general rule of thumb is the more expensive the slower the growth, i have pandora zoas that grow a new polyp about every 6-7 days then i have a frag of hallucinations that i had for about 6 months and only grew 2 polyps lol. Xenias like a little bit more of dirtier water, higher nutrients and they will grow like a wildfire. Montis and favia grow at the same speed for me which is months are a time to notice growth.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s different for each coral. I’ve had some zoas grow fast and others not grow at all. Some of the LPS grow a little slower. But your water quality and husbandry make a huge difference in growth. Good luck!

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the most important dictator is your lights imo, i used 32 watt fluval lights as a newbie and finally switched to kessil ap700 - i get new growth at a much quicker rate from cloves zoas kenya trees duncans etc

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back