Favia growth question

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody tell me what is growing all over this favia? Are they new polyps or something else?

We got this favia at a steal from a LFS because they said they couldn't properly care for it and it was dying on them slowly. So my wife and I took the favia and it is doing much better in our tank. We feed pur corals regularly and don't seem to have many issues with any of the coral. But I will say, we had some fish come up with ick within 2 week of adding the favia. We dipped it before adding it. We bought a hammer that same day from the same place and it came with featherdusters, which went un-noticed for about 5 days.

20240308_150250.jpg 17099320231671760209033771605420.jpg

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its a hard shell and they retract when you go near them(go hollow), then it is a vermetid snail. looks like a couple on the bottom for a good example. they make a spiral tube with a sturdy base, some people like pliers to break them off at the base. I prefer to try and slice with a razor blade.

certainly a pest.
if you broadcast feed youll notice they have little mouth that either grab for food or put out a mucus web at times to catch it. sometimes they will release eggs in this web to spread throughout the tank. bumblebee snails are thought to do well at keeping them in check once they are in a tank.

Sorry about the ich..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back