New Coral ID Help Needed

kalebos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am new to the reef tank world. I've just gotten my first fish and first few corals. When I went to the store I told the worker there what I wanted and attached to my xenia plug was what I am assuming is an Acan. Truth be told I didn't even realize it until I left the store that they had done that. I'm pretty dang happy though. This guy is both beautiful and free!

Is this an Acan? If so, does anyone know what this specific one is called by any chance? Is it open and does it look happy? I honestly have not done much research on Acans. I am pretty confused here.

Also, don't mind the Xenia. He was a little agitated since I moved him around for the photo.

IMG-4481.jpg
IMG-4483.jpg

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am new to the reef tank world. I've just gotten my first fish and first few corals. When I went to the store I told the worker there what I wanted and attached to my xenia plug was what I am assuming is an Acan. Truth be told I didn't even realize it until I left the store that they had done that. I'm pretty dang happy though. This guy is both beautiful and free!

Is this an Acan? If so, does anyone know what this specific one is called by any chance? Is it open and does it look happy? I honestly have not done much research on Acans. I am pretty confused here.

Also, don't mind the Xenia. He was a little agitated since I moved him around for the photo.

IMG-4481.jpg
IMG-4483.jpg
Yes, looks like an Acan--perhaps a Hulk or another purple/green variety. Adding nutrients should color it up nicely.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Top is Pom Pom Xenia and lower is enchinata

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates from feeding more and resultant fish poop, which is more of a shotgun approach, or aminos--something like Red Sea Reef Energy AB+, which is a more tailored approach.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Awesome! What do you mean by adding nutrients? Adding 2 part? Feeding Reef Roids?
Moderate light and water flow and feed2-3x per week (mysis and roids)

OP
OP
K

kalebos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the ID and care tips! I'm curious what quality of a coral that Acan is? Any idea how much I should have paid for it if I didn't get it for free?
That’s a $30-40 piece

OP
OP
K

kalebos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moderate light and water flow and feed2-3x per week (mysis and roids)
My tank is 30 gallons and I have 1 clownfish and 3 coral total. If I wait a bit to start using additives as well as directly feeding the Acan will it be fine? Or is it pretty important for its health to start now?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My tank is 30 gallons and I have 1 clownfish and 3 coral total. If I wait a bit to start using additives as well as directly feeding the Acan will it be fine? Or is it pretty important for its health to start now?
It will be fine

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would separate them soon; the Xenia will quickly overgrow the acan and preclude necessary light.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I was planning on doing that today. I'm putting the xenia on its own little rock and am going to pray that a year from today I don't regret getting it!
Good idea to isolate it. I like the color, shape and movement of Xenia and keep my weed-wacker close by to "manage" its growth.

OP
OP
K

kalebos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just split up my xenia and acan frags. I have a perfect spot for the acan on a small rock. I haven't glued it down though. There is nothing in my tank that will knock it over. Will it attach itself?
IMG-4486.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just split up my xenia and acan frags. I have a perfect spot for the acan on a small rock. I haven't glued it down though. There is nothing in my tank that will knock it over. Will it attach itself?
IMG-4486.jpg
Wouldn't bet on that happening any time soon; couple drops of coral glue will ensure you don't accidentally knock it over while cleaning, etc.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go ahead and do that then. Any idea if gorilla glue is safe? I have the super glue not the gel version of it.
I searched R2R and several reefers have used the gel that comes with green cap. You might want to check their responses just be sure; I've never used it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back