New Corals😍Any advice?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rcasa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rcasa

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 15, 2026
Messages
98
Reaction score
55
Location
montclair
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
candy can low but in rocks and not on the sand. imo gsp and pulsing xenia belong in the trash or someone else's tank
 
Gsp grows like a weed. Alot of people mount it to the back glass. If you are going to put in on your rock work make sure its an isolated rock or it will climg over everything.
Wondering if I’m able to maintain it and trim it?‼️‼️
 
candy can low but in rocks and not on the sand. imo gsp and pulsing xenia belong in the trash or someone else's tank
Thank you and also to let you know the negative comments can be left and put in the trash too. Freedom of speech but out of respect negative comments isn’t needed
 
Wondering if I’m able to maintain it and trim it?‼️‼️
Its easiest to maintain and trin if it is mountes on the rear glass. Xenia definitety put on an island to itself or will spread. I had aome years ago placed on my mushroom rock and pulled spreading polyps weekly. Kinda like gardening. Gotta pull the ones that you dont want
 
negative comments can be left and put in the trash too. Freedom of speech but out of respect negative comments isn’t needed
it wasnt meant to make u feel bad, but a real comment based on years of having to deal with both as an infestation.
 
Candy Cane's like lower light in my experience.

GSP will acclimate to anything and everything, and grow like crazy when happy! Try to keep it isolated on its own rock if you can.
 
The GSP and Xyena will survive anywhere in the tank. Low or high placement will be fine and they will both adapt to that area. Once you’ve found a place you like glue it there and it’ll acclimate. Once it’s happy it will start to spread. I personally keep GSP on an isolated rock since I don’t want it to go on to the main structure. In some systems it can grow very quickly. Same with Xyena. These types of corals due to how quickly they spread are good to keep separated from the main rock scape. Unless it’s something you want to cover everything. It can be hard to “cut” it back once it’s very happy and multiplying.
IMG_3168.jpeg


I was taking a picture of this mantis shrimp under my rock but it does show how I have GSP on an isolated rock. Happy reefing! Their movement is fun to watch.
 
Thank you and also to let you know the negative comments can be left and put in the trash too. Freedom of speech but out of respect negative comments isn’t needed
i mean, sure i just didnt want u to have to deal with that mess. they both spread like the plague and are super ez to keep and also hard get rid of
 
negative comments can be left and put in the trash too. Freedom of speech but out of respect negative comments isn’t needed
it wasnt meant to make u feel bad, but a real comment based on years of having to deal with both as an infestation.
Most definitely understood and all respect, hope both perspectives are appreciated
 
My candy canes thrive in moderate light. My gsp has been isolated on a rock island for 4 years. I do occasionally trim it back. I have not had pulsing xenia but the definitely need isolated.
IMG_0331.jpeg
IMG_6037.jpeg
 
Funny, I can grow zoas, most lps and some sps I can not keep xenia, gsp, or candy canes alive. Not just in the current tank (i have only tried xenia of the 3 in this one, every attempt dies) but in tanks of the past too. I had one tank that xenia thrived in and I was trying to get it to cover every inch and it pretty much did, I used it as what was called a xenia fuge people thought it was a large up taker of nitrate and phosphates not sure if that is still a thing. Any time I took a rock out and tried it in one of my display tanks it would melt away. I do really like pulsing xenia it is actually one of my favorite corals. Crazy right?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new