New cube build! Again!

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess it’s time to post some progress on my build. It’s been going slow due to the hours I work. But it’s going to be 60 gal cube, originally was going rimless, however was at the lfs were I picked up a deep blue tank brand new for $200. Can’t pass that up. So let the build begin.

TANK-60 gal true cube from Deep Blue

EQUIP- Apex 2016, COR-15 return pump, sump trigger cube 20 sapphire, Skimz sn-127 dc controllable skimmer, two gyre xf 230, aquatic life T-5 led hybrid, hydra 26 hd, kessil h80 refugium light, tunze ato, jebao 4 head doser, BRS mini carbon reactor, cobalt neo-therm heater and misc. sure there are things I’m forgetting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FC2F4F84-8621-445B-8432-5DB49C9DF18B.jpeg
So tank is here need a stand for it. Wife suggested doing some type of built in with it so after some discussion and sketches we came up with this.

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to start on this stand. It’s going to be pretty simple, three doors, center door will be 24” same size as tank and side doors will be 16” same as bookshelves that will be built later. I’m actually glad my wife suggested this as having a cabinet this large for a cube should mean no shortage of space for equipment. Unless I just go way to far...

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome you won that sump on BRS! You off to a great start remember ask any questions you may have there is a lot of really kind people here to help you! ;)

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome you won that sump on BRS! You off to a great start remember ask any questions you may have there is a lot of really kind people here to help you! ;)
For sure I’ve found this to be one of the most helpful forums, #reef2reef. I have a pretty good plan as far as what I want to do. This will be my first cube but 4th tank build I’ve done. I’ve actually got a 180 gal tank in my garage with equipment that needs to go to finance some of this build, lol says the wife. Whom also wants to convert one of the tanks I have now to a seahorse tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! What is the stocking plan and how are you lighting it?
Lighting will be AI Hydra 26 hd with T-5. As far as coral I have some lps I’ll be moving over from another tank, but leaving the top open for sps. All my tanks before have mainly been Lps however really gonna try my hand at sps this time. Had a few really nice frags that grew out into 4-5” colonies in my 180 came home one night looked at the tank and thought stuff doesn’t look to good. Then noticed the heater was stuck on and tank was 87 degrees. Killed everything and haven’t tried sps since. Except for some cheapo stuff but nothing nice.

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never run a controller on a tank but this one will have one. Too many things like the one listed above that have cost me hundreds if not more. Need to sell some of my stuff before buying controller so wife doesn’t freak. Originally thought of going with the GHL profilux 4 but lack of support and vendors that carry their products have pushed more tword the apex. Although the GHL does seem to be a higher quality product

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So drilled tank this morning. Was pretty nervous, having never done it. Must say not as bad as I was envisioning actually turned out quite well. Installed PVC bottom in tank and painted the back as well. Also installed CPR overflow. Originally was going with synergy but at half the price and no big box on the back of the tank this seemed a better fit.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back