New cube build! Again!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where I live trumps even Houston for high heat and humidity and we are lucky enough to have it year-round. It is always either hot and humid or really, really hot and really, really humid. Currently, 89* and 80% humidity with a heat index of 103* at my home. Not too bad as there is some cloud cover. I have a UPS for a pump but that will only be good for about 4 hours or so. I do have a 10KW backup generator as power outages are fairly common here. Just hope he can figure everything out... if he actually pulls through...

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where I live trumps even Houston for high heat and humidity and we are lucky enough to have it year-round. It is always either hot and humid or really, really hot and really, really humid. Currently, 89* and 80% humidity with a heat index of 103* at my home. Not too bad as there is some cloud cover. I have a UPS for a pump but that will only be good for about 4 hours or so. I do have a 10KW backup generator as power outages are fairly common here. Just hope he can figure everything out... if he actually pulls through...
I’ve looked at those generac generators, they’re supposed to be able to run entire house and kick on automatically when there is a power outage. They run off natural gas. I may look into that harder as outages are quite common here as well with all the storms.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vacations are more fun when you don’t have an expensive tank at home to worry about ! I read through your whole thread and it was great. The ending kind of sucked ( power outage). Hope the rest of your tank does well and you find your anthias! I just got home from a 6 day vacation. I have a small tank with a few small fish. Set up an automatic fish feeder but it did not feed even once! All of the food that I loaded into the individual feeding slots was still there. I put in a fresh battery to make sure it would work. Luckily none of the fish died. I threw that feeder in the trash! Good luck with your tank is really a nice build ! One thing that might help would be an ice cap or similar battery back up to at least run circulation pump if the power goes out. I have the ice Cap to back up my icecap pump but I think it will work on any of the DC operated pumps..

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vacations are more fun when you don’t have an expensive tank at home to worry about ! I read through your whole thread and it was great. The ending kind of sucked ( power outage). Hope the rest of your tank does well and you find your anthias! I just got home from a 6 day vacation. I have a small tank with a few small fish. Set up an automatic fish feeder but it did not feed even once! All of the food that I loaded into the individual feeding slots was still there. I put in a fresh battery to make sure it would work. Luckily none of the fish died. I threw that feeder in the trash! Good luck with your tank is really a nice build ! One thing that might help would be an ice cap or similar battery back up to at least run circulation pump if the power goes out. I have the ice Cap to back up my icecap pump but I think it will work on any of the DC operated pumps..
Thanks for the input, I’ll definitely need to look into some type of backup. Still haven’t seen any of my anthias, I’m not sure how sensitive they are to heat, but they definitely didn’t jump I’ve looked everywhere.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sorry to hear. I hope it bounces back quickly for you, I have enjoyed watching this build.
With a hopeful home addition next summer or in 2020 I have budgeted a whole house generator as it seems the safest way to go.

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before I went on vacation I noticed a few spots of bryopsis that I cleaned off but seem to have an outbreak of it now. Not sure if I spread it around cleaning or if the power outage helped to spread it, combo of both? Idk but I got some stuff called reef flux, did a water change today and dosed the reef flux and I’ll keep track of the progress see how this works.

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day1
C10DBCD4-C5ED-42EB-926B-543D7DBF291A.jpeg
Day 3
395BD76A-E13C-48FE-9BEE-8C2049FA2636.jpeg
Day 5
67C66AAF-72F4-40BE-BA44-062FA973C6B8.jpeg
Day 7
39DC3FFC-5B74-4D0D-8FB9-E9336E3D6E5A.jpeg

Last edited:

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Reef Flux is BRS's version of fluconazole which can be bought online for cheaper/different quantities. It does amazingly to remove Bryopsis (my own tank included). I'm excited to see your bryopsis die a painful horrible death :)

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Reef Flux is BRS's version of fluconazole which can be bought online for cheaper/different quantities. It does amazingly to remove Bryopsis (my own tank included). I'm excited to see your bryopsis die a painful horrible death :)
Haha I’m excited to see it disappear as well. I actually didn’t know that BRS sold it, I got it off Amazon.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running 3 b+ and 1 c+ The coral + is tword the back where most my acros are at.
I used to run that ratio of b+ but got frustrated trying to take pics. Currently running 2 b+ and 2 10k. I can turn off the blues and shoot picks with the 10ks and add the 3 blue led lights on some pics. Love your build.

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking pretty good after a week, haven’t noticed an effect on anything else but the bryopsis. I’m gonna give it one more week then a big water change. Phosphate is high I’m assuming from the bryopsis die off, but all other parameters are in check. The bleached out frags are from the power outage just haven’t pulled them out yet.

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for the 30% water change stuff was starting to look a little stale hopefully tomorrow morning stuff will look a little livelier, also have a shipment from ASD coming tomorrow so I’ll try to get some pics of the new livestock
87BBCE9B-99D6-4F7A-99AD-68DF63CC88BB.jpeg

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice and neat setup you got there. Reeflux (fluconazole) usually works very well on bryopsis.
Love your coral choices so far.

OP
OP
Bmasculine

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t get a good pic of the rainbow milli or some of my other acros. The lighting is to much with just this iPhone. Believe it or not I actually own a nice camera but the pics I take with it are actually worse than these iPhone pics. Anyway here are a couple more iPhone pics of other random stuff.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back