New custom tank, thinking of going Triton.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Kurtoski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

long story short, currently have a Reefer 350 but upgrading to a 6ft x 2ft x 2.5ft. I’ve seen stuff about the Triton method before and was interested by it but I couldn’t really go for it with the standard Reefer sump. Now I’m looking at getting a tank built, I can have the sump however I like so I’m thinking for going over to Triton.

My query is, I’ll be moving my current live rock over to the new tank along with adding some more dead rock. I’ll also be filling the tank up with RO with my current salt (Red sea Coral Pro), now in theory this will be a 100% water change so my parameter should be as close to the coral pro salt spec, will this be okay to start Triton on?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
I would do your research as knowledge is key.
If you go to the BRS website on the Core 7 product page two thirds down are some PDF files that have the best information.
I recomend reading all of them, I think theres 3-4.

The method works for me very well.
As with every new thing there is a learning curve.

You will find water changes never stop, there is always WC recomendations after the ICP test comes back.
The standard is 15% a week for six weeks.
This slows down after a while though.

You will also be altering your dosing from the same ammount to varying amounts.
I all of us started out doesing equally but testing and watching YOUR tank will reveal your dosing amounts per product will eventually be different.

Have you done an ICP test yet?
Just an FYI, Triton prefers Tropic Marin Pro and one other salt, I dont remember but I think it was Red Sea.
I will bave to go look at my results and confirm.
I use TMP, so not an issue for me.

The jury is out in my opinion on the tin results.
Seems every tank has high tin for some reason and there is a huge thread on the subject here on R2R. After a long and very dry read my take is ICP results on tin are not so accurate.
Now thats my take you may come to a different conclusion.
I have read on here many reefers are tearing there tanks and plumbing apart looking for the cause, yet most never have found it.

So I myself do not and have not worried about tin.
Now after some months in, my last ICP test came back with tin in the green zone. Without me going to great lengths.

Is a high tin level in our tanks VS seawater bad?
The only answer I have found is well too much of anything is bad.
Ok one can drink the koolaid but I have never found anyone report a tank crash or livestock deats or no growth based on this one element. YMMV.

Anyway welcome to Triton I think you will like it a lot.

OP
OP
Kurtoski

Kurtoski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
I would do your research as knowledge is key.
If you go to the BRS website on the Core 7 product page two thirds down are some PDF files that have the best information.
I recomend reading all of them, I think theres 3-4.

The method works for me very well.
As with every new thing there is a learning curve.

You will find water changes never stop, there is always WC recomendations after the ICP test comes back.
The standard is 15% a week for six weeks.
This slows down after a while though.

You will also be altering your dosing from the same ammount to varying amounts.
I all of us started out doesing equally but testing and watching YOUR tank will reveal your dosing amounts per product will eventually be different.

Have you done an ICP test yet?
Just an FYI, Triton prefers Tropic Marin Pro and one other salt, I dont remember but I think it was Red Sea.
I will bave to go look at my results and confirm.
I use TMP, so not an issue for me.

The jury is out in my opinion on the tin results.
Seems every tank has high tin for some reason and there is a huge thread on the subject here on R2R. After a long and very dry read my take is ICP results on tin are not so accurate.
Now thats my take you may come to a different conclusion.
I have read on here many reefers are tearing there tanks and plumbing apart looking for the cause, yet most never have found it.

So I myself do not and have not worried about tin.
Now after some months in, my last ICP test came back with tin in the green zone. Without me going to great lengths.

Is a high tin level in our tanks VS seawater bad?
The only answer I have found is well too much of anything is bad.
Ok one can drink the koolaid but I have never found anyone report a tank crash or livestock deats or no growth based on this one element. YMMV.

Anyway welcome to Triton I think you will like it a lot.

Thanks for your input, I’ll definitely do more research before plunging. That’s most of the reason why I’ve not ordered the new tank yet even though I’m itching to do so. I’ve not sent off an ICP test but perhaps it would be a good idea to do so.

I guess with Triton, half the challenge for most people is to change the mindset of how we maintain our aquariums. I have a good understanding of how it works but still need to look into it more to be 100% comfortable with it.

Thanks for your help.

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every ICP for me is Chromium, and yes I tore my tank apart, bought a underwater metal detector, couldn’t find anything. Do a water change and chromium stays the same 16-19 ppb per the Hanna checker. I decided to try MetaSorb as a last ditch effort to remove chromium. If this doesn’t work and my corals are happy, I’m done worrying about it.
I dose 4ml (Rec 5ml) equal parts daily in a RSR250 and my parameters stay very stable. Very easy maintenance on the entire system. And yes corals are growing wild in the tank.

I had a very similar experience the way your switching over. Going to recommend waiting to add macro until there’s signs of nutrients. I added macros too soon aNd continued to die on me.
Good luck, well worth the money IMO.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back