NEW DIY REEF AFTER BEING OUT FOR 13 YEARS

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello reefers. Hope you are all doing well.... I decided to post pictures of my 48"L x 24"D x 20"H reef tank. After being out of the hobby for so long, I realized that everything got more technical, and much more expensive. Knowing this, I wanted to make the right choices, and save some$$ by understanding what I can get away with buying some things used, after setting up the basics, the only used components I decided to purchase, was anything that is not electrical.

Used:
Lee Mar 100GmTank- $200
Eurofil 60G sump $200
Clear for life acrylic tank (refugium) $80

New:
Ecotech M2 $360
Simplicity 240DC protein skimmer $ 210
Inkbird heater controller and BRS titanium heater $100
Sduny LED T50 Model- 170
ATO valve: $35

DIY:
Stand, Plumbing, mounting fixtures.
Cost: $500

The goal was to create a simple minimalistic system, without the complexities of all the computers and over the top expensive equipment.
This does not mean that you should not spend the money on good testing equipment, also keep in mind that some testing gear requires redundancy, such as digital hydrometers.

This approach is for the frugal reefer that has the skills to make it affordable for him or herself. Being frugal does not mean that you cannot enjoy this hobby.. and having deep pockets does not mean that you will be successful .
IMG_2597.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

PYEE8600.JPG
IMG_2899.JPG
CPIO3467.JPG

LOLY9509.JPG

DRJG2800.JPG

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Thanks, I’m hopping this post will help other reefers anyway possible.

I’m always open to criticism, opinions, and trolling to whatever I post, it will either help, or make it funny and entertaining.

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I hate to say this now, afyer you got it powder coated. You should have added some diagonal braces to prevent racking. Looking good other wise. Enjoy
This will hold over 1 ton, it’s as stable as it needs to be . It’s 2”x2” 10 gauge rolled steel. I want it clean looking. No need for gusets of Extra support.. the frame is 60” and the tank is 48”.

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work, I am in a similar position.
Building my steel stand at the moment and have done an open front also.
My steel tubing is smaller at 1.5" so i had to add a bit more support.... should have gone 2"

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I'm kinda in the same boat as you in that I took a decade long hiatus from reefing as well and only just now starting again. Love your setup so far. What are your plans for livestock?

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nice work, I am in a similar position.
Building my steel stand at the moment and have done an open front also.
My steel tubing is smaller at 1.5" so i had to add a bit more support.... should have gone 2

1.5" is fine, just make sure to add center braces, if the tank is going to take the entire countertop, then add gussets

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up. I like the statement that this does not have to be a rich man's hobby. Noone here is going to judge for going nano over monster or using an Amazon valve over Spears. We grow our reefs as our interest and budgets will allow. Great build topic to start with. Following along. Welcome to the family!

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome. I'm kinda in the same boat as you in that I took a decade long hiatus from reefing as well and only just now starting again. Love your setup so far. What are your plans for livestock?
I started the tank using Dr Tims one and only formula for bacteria, after 10 days of cycling, my amonnia and nitrates were near zero; soon after I started to add life stock every weekend or so.

so far I have put, 3 chromis, 1 oscillaris, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 tiger strip pistol shrimp with a orange spotted goby, 1 anthias (currently hiding, or jumped out and one of the two dogs ate her). 2 halloween crabs, 4 red legged hermit crabs, 4 nissarius snails, 4 trochus snails, coco feather duster, just yesterday i picked up a piece of orange montipora. Currently looking at a chalk bass. saw him yesterday, really cool looking reef friendly fish.

Im fortunate to live on the outskirts of los angeles, we have many of resources here for life stock, and the reef community is helpful.

Welcome back to reef keeping!!

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the tank using Dr Tims one and only formula for bacteria, after 10 days of cycling, my amonnia and nitrates were near zero; soon after I started to add life stock every weekend or so.

so far I have put, 3 chromis, 1 oscillaris, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 tiger strip pistol shrimp with a orange spotted goby, 1 anthias (currently hiding, or jumped out and one of the two dogs ate her). 2 halloween crabs, 4 red legged hermit crabs, 4 nissarius snails, 4 trochus snails, coco feather duster, just yesterday i picked up a piece of orange montipora. Currently looking at a chalk bass. saw him yesterday, really cool looking reef friendly fish.

Im fortunate to live on the outskirts of los angeles, we have many of resources here for life stock, and the reef community is helpful.

Welcome back to reef keeping!!

Yeah that was one of the things I miss about living in CA. Resources for livestock and equipment were readily available and very competitive in pricing.

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Like the set up, especially the way the tank stand is larger then the tank. Gives it another dimensional look seeing it centered on stand, welcome aboard!
I can always use the counterspace when im testing, feeding, and cleaning. Its a marine grade 11 ply baltic birch I sealed it clear all over, then got some truck bedliner and painted the counter top.

came out looking like a skateboard!!

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
going to start dosing Kalkwasser to the tank soon, i added a few corals and want to start at a 1/4 dose. was looking at the X1pro wifi dosing pump by Kamoer. Any advice on a budget dosing setup is welcome...

OP
OP
neonreef3d

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Trochus snail spawning, Anyone knows exactly how they breed? I remember seeing my astrea snails 15 years ago laying eggs on the glass surface. no experience with these gu
ys...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back