New England Frag Farmer's Market - 3/3/18 - Storrs CT

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FFM_2018_small.jpg
It's back again! Often imitated, but never duplicated, this will be the 11th annual New England Frag Farmers Market! It has become the biggest single day show in the Northeast, and maybe the country. It will once again bring together 60+ coral vendors, a larger number of "dry goods" companies, and provide a HUGE raffle with great prizes. It has become the event not to miss for the reefing groups all around the Northeast. To make it even better, all of the proceeds from the event go to help run the E.O. Smith High School Coral Propagation Project!
If anyone needs any other info, or you are interested in becoming a part of the FFM, just shoot me a pm!
Thanks-
Jon

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Name_that_Coral_Poster_Small.jpg

Here is the contest for the New England Frag Farmer's Market this year- thanks to Lou from Tropic Marin! I have three corals that need names (so I can charge twice as much for them when I sell them...). I am not looking for the scientific names, something a little more fun! Here are quick descriptions of each to compensate for my poor photography skills:

Coral #1 is a Neon green Leptoseris (maybe?) with a purpleish growth rim

Coral #2 is a Light, mint green Acropora with big "bulby" coralites

Coral #3 is a deep purple Rhodactis mushroom with neon green fringing tentacles

Email your names to me with the subject "2018 FFM Coral Name Entry" by Thursday March 1st to be considered. Winners will be announced on the FB page. Winners MUST pick up their salt buckets at the FFM on March 3rd- just another reason to go to the biggest event on the East Coast! Thanks to Lou Elkus and Tropic Marin for sponsoring this FFM contest!

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my first year at a frag farmers market (so excited!). What do I need to know?

I know to bring a cooler, do I need cash or credit cards?

Would it work to temporarily carry my corals around in a bucket (the handle will make it easier to carry)?

Can everyone lie to my husband about how much I'm spending? ;)

OP
OP
F

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you are coming out! Here is what I can tell you:
1. Bring a cooler. Find the biggest one you have and then get one size larger. The FFM is crazy and you will see more corals there than at any other coral event.
2. Many of the vendors will take credit but some (like my school) only take cash. Bring cash and have you card ready. There is also an ATM across the street.
3. I am running a free cooler check station this year for shoppers. It will work like a coat check. You leave your cooler and get a #'d tag. Anytime you want to come drop things off, just stop by the table and show them your ticket and they will get the cooler for you.
4. Yes, we all lie to our spouses and would be happy to help you to do the same.
5. Lastly, I'll give you a few insider tips
-Come early, parking can be tough later on.
-Make sure to visit the raffle!
-Also make sure to stop by my tank in room 107 and say "Hi!" I run the whole thing and love to meet the new people!
-Jon

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back