New equipment needed...... What to buy?

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by moseley75, Sep 12, 2017.

1. moseley75

moseley75 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I want (need) a salinity meter and a pH meter. I have a Reefkeeper lite. I have looked at the Milwaukee electronic refractometer and pH meter. I have also looked at the SL2v2 by Digital Aquatics for the Reefkeeper. I like the SL2v2 for the convenience and continuous monitoring. I don't know how accurate the information is. The Milwaukee instruments have a great reputation and proven record. The pH meter can help, if I have a good one, with determining Alkalinity.
    Any advice as to which one I should get would be appreciated.

Tags:

2. bif24701

bif24701 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Why do you feel you need these monitors? I like them but it's only for monitoring never for control. In a CalRx a pH probe is used sometimes to monitor the pH inside yet even here I wouldn't control the CO2 with it.

3. moseley75

moseley75 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Not trying to control anything. Don't know what a CalRx is or why you want to control CO2. I'm trying to maintain good water parameters. My eyesight is such that I have a difficult time with my Red Sea refractometer and a pH probe, according to @Randy Holmes-Farley, is part of the most accurate way to test for alkalinity.

4. Antics

Antics Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

CalRx = Calcium Reactor, which requires CO2 to function/control the reactor.

I personally use Apex so I can't offer too much advice on what brand to use of the ones you've listed but Milwaukee has always been great for me in terms of their other products.

5. bif24701

bif24701 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

If I where you I would just get the APEX for pH, salinity, ORP, and Temp. They are accurate enough if you calibrate and have the double junction lab grade probe/s, at least the pH one.

The Milwaukee is good and of your eye sight is poor then that is certainly the best choice. I still use a refractometer and calibrate it each time and I can guarantee mine is on point. Other may not be able to do that like yourself.

I don't know how accurate the Reefkeeper probs are but assume they are ok for monitoring.

Draft saved Draft deleted