new fish acclimation with boss fish in acclimation box

inspii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have a yellow tang in my DT and a recently purchased fox face in my observation tank. The fox face is a really calm and seemingly an anxious fish. I don't want to be him beat up by the tang.
I wanted to integrate the fox face with an acclimation box. I use a fish trap as acclimation box, too.

Today I had the idea to catch the yellow tang with and put the fox face into the tank. So the yellow tang will be in the acclimation box for a week or so while the fox face has time to settle.

What do you think about that. Has anyone tried that before?

Best regards

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can catch the resident bully, then what you propose is actually better. The problem with socialization/acclimation boxes is that often the new fish is ignored ….. until you release it then the fins fly.

OP
OP
I

inspii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response.
I have the same experience with acclimation box & releasing and that’s how I had the idea this morning and wanted to ask for other people’s opinions.
catching him will not be an issue. Last time he swam into the trap after a day or so, and I’m not in a rush with that.

OP
OP
I

inspii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

I’ve put the yellow tang into the frag chamber of my sump for 8 days as he was freaking out in the fish trap, so he’s been in there for only 10 minutes.

However, the fox face had a week to settle and I think the combination of both helped. I put the yellow tang back today, so it’s day 0 of putting them together. There is definitely some aggression from the yellow one towards the fox face, but that’s nothing compared to when I added a kole tang to the yellow tang. The fox face is not hiding at all because he’s used to the tank and he knows how to use his spines :)

So far I’m happy with that. If you’re able to catch the boss, it’s worth a try.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back