New fish adding after velvet

magic23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Long story short I had a huge velvet outbreak in my tank, lost bunch of very expensive fish, but also had some that survived. All was going well; I was adding more fish and seems like velvet was gone. Two years later I took down my reef system to replace it with a new one. The fish were held in temporarily holding system and introduced to my new system. All was going well, added some more fish that were fully qt in copper. About 4 months later all new fish- and yes just the new ones, dropped dead within 48h, the only fish that had shown typical velvet symptoms was a PB, and lamarc angel who did not have any white spots but had difficulty breathing. All my old fish are doing fine. I removed them and now they are again treated with copper power. The tank has been fishless for 2 months now, I am planning for another 6 weeks with no fish. Is there anything else that I can do at this point to make sure velvet is not coming back? Should I copper treat all my new fish or 8 weeks conditioning, observing, and deworming will do? I am thinking of doing a water DNA test in about 6 weeks to make sure velvet is gone.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like you have had a rough one, but not sure velvet was the cause of the Tang and angel

you should have run an appropriate fallow time and one additional aid would be to bump up the temperature till you re-add your stock which will speed up the life cycle of the parasite...

good luck

OP
OP
M

magic23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish that are lost 6 months ago were PB, Lamarack angel, black cap, 2 royal grammas, two clowns, 5 antias, white tail tang, and a yellow tang. The fish that I have left are: hippo tang- with me for 15 plus years, naso tang, purple tang, one clown, and a green cory wrasse.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 67.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back