New fish initially active, now hiding. Presumed dead?

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed a flame hawkfish and a Lubbock's wrasse in my tank on Sept 29. For the first 3 or 4 days they mostly active - stayed perched/hidden inside the rock work but I could always see them. They both came out during food time and accepted mysis, rod's and various pellet foods. I am certainly no expert, but they looked great and I was pleased with my purchase, expecting them to become less shy very soon.

I haven't seen them since those initial few days.

I've not seen any aggression in the tank at all.
Tank is 75g display, 50g sump
Other inhabitants include:
Pair of Ocellaris
Royal Gramma
Bicolor blenny
Diamond goby
Pair of pajama cardinals
Aptaisia filefish

How long do you wait? The wrasse I can understand - I have a big ole rock structure with lots of hiding spots and caves etc. But the hawkfish befuddles me - I thought they were generally very gregarious. Would it be too soon to replace him?

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No bullying that I saw - some initial curiosity from mainly the clowns but quicky disappeared and they never seemed interested beyond that

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No bullying that I saw - some initial curiosity from mainly the clowns but quicky disappeared and they never seemed interested beyond that
Becoming more shy and wasting away is potentially a sign they were collected using cyanide. Jay has an article about how some places do not regulate fish and coral collection and some livestock there come in with issues. Cyanide apparently takes weeks to kill.
Not an expert though. Just had the same happen with a pair of bellus.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanide is certainly a problem, but for it to hit two new fish at exactly the same time is a bit of a coincidence. I’ve not had problems with flame hawks with cyanide, nor should it be hiding. I think there could be something else going on, but I can’t tell you what for sure.

Jay

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apparently have a very shy flame hawkfish. We had a stare down for thirty seconds, him and I, inside the rock structure. As soon as I tried to switch to my phone camera (phone was already in my hands - I was using it as a flashlight!) he bolted. Looked good, no spots or wounds and the respiration didn't appear stressed.

Still haven't seen the wrasse in more than a week but that's expected behavior from them afaik

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it's surprising how he was right in front of my face underneath a rock hang and I couldn't see him once I turned the flashlight off. Love seeing how fishes adapt

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it's surprising how he was right in front of my face underneath a rock hang and I couldn't see him once I turned the flashlight off. Love seeing how fishes adapt
Can you tell if the hawk fish is eating?

Jay

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell if the hawk fish is eating?

Jay
Hello, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to search for it. Luckily he was sitting right under the first rock I lifted and I was able to get a chunk of rod's food right into his location. It took him a moment, but he attacked the food and ate a chunk. He let me film him and adjust the lighting etc for as long as I wanted. He just likes his spot I guess.

Here's a video of the action, I think this looks good:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back