Next fish, help wanted - 110 g mixed reef

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48”x24x24 waterbox 150.4. Its been established almost a year now, and I am still going through the gha battle (i am hoping I am turning a corner), but I want to start qting and adding a couple of more fish, especially dither and more active fish because othe than the clowns, the fish hang out in the rocks all day. I am probably overfeeding a bit so I have no problem with adding a few more fish while the tank matures. I wouldn’t mind dither fish, and prefer captive bred. I want active fish that are not typically jerks.

Current stock:
One spot foxface (skittish), likes hiding in rocks
Oscellaris clown pair (always out front)
Royal gramma (hated by the foxface for no reason at all), hides all the time except to eat
Midas blenny (loves its hidey hole) but is always watching us
CuC - snails and hermits

Upcoming purchases: LFS has a nice looking blue eyed kole tang which I plan to buy soon, or a different bristletooth if they sell the blue eye.

Also eventually plan to add a biota yellow tang, which I would put in an acclimation box until the kole and foxface ignore it. I figure the yellow tang would be a later addition as I understand they can get bossy.

Thinking about:

Banggai and a couple of pajamas, but tank has a good bit of flow (3 4000+ gph powerheads/gyre on variable flow schedule, but never more than 60%), so I wonder if they can handle it.
Firefish with the same concern about flow. And are these too passive?
Melanarus wrasse
Orchid dottyback
A couple of less aggressive damsels (ora lemons? Springeri, both?)
An anthia?
Flame Hawkfish? Too territorial??

Other recommendations?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just add 1 cardinal fish unless you're buying a mated pair. Orchid dottyback shouldn't be housed with a royal gramma. Basslets and dottybacks don't like each other. Also dottybacks can be really aggressive. Orchids are the nicest of the dottybacks by a large margin, but they can still have aggression problems so kinda the opposite of your concern. Melanarus wrasse are also not meek passive fish. They're not always invert safe as adults.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back