New fish question, help

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I added a new Coral Beauty almost 2 days ago. The guy as quarantined for over 4 weeks. He looked fat and healthy too. When he was first put into the tank he swam around a little bit exploring and seems to have settled next to my overflow. He just stays there kind of swimming face forward into my overflow. He has not eaten since he has been put into the tank. He has had mysis and brine shrimp right in front of him. I have put Nori in the tank also right near him. Just trying to find something he will eat. I know they have to settle in but should I be concerned about anything here? All water parameters are in check. Maybe the phosphates and Nitrates are a little low but this was a tank transfer and setup Christmas Day. My build thread details all of that.

I am attaching a picture of the fish and the area he is in but I have no filter and there is a lot of blue. Sorry for the pic quality.

IMG_3523.jpeg

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I added a new Coral Beauty almost 2 days ago. The guy as quarantined for over 4 weeks. He looked fat and healthy too. When he was first put into the tank he swam around a little bit exploring and seems to have settled next to my overflow. He just stays there kind of swimming face forward into my overflow. He has not eaten since he has been put into the tank. He has had mysis and brine shrimp right in front of him. I have put Nori in the tank also right near him. Just trying to find something he will eat. I know they have to settle in but should I be concerned about anything here? All water parameters are in check. Maybe the phosphates and Nitrates are a little low but this was a tank transfer and setup Christmas Day. My build thread details all of that.

I am attaching a picture of the fish and the area he is in but I have no filter and there is a lot of blue. Sorry for the pic quality.

IMG_3523.jpeg
Coral beauty takes time to settle in new tanks.When I added mine, it did not eat for 1 week then it started eating like pig. So give it some days to settle. Still, they came with parasites.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and the Coral Beauty was dead. Not sure what his deal was. Reef Chasers has a 7 day guarantee on their quarantined fish so we will see how this goes. The are not open Saturday or Sunday but I called them yesterday to let them know something wasn't right with the fish and emailed them today. I hope this guarantee is a smooth process.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and the Coral Beauty was dead. Not sure what his deal was. Reef Chasers has a 7 day guarantee on their quarantined fish so we will see how this goes. The are not open Saturday or Sunday but I called them yesterday to let them know something wasn't right with the fish and emailed them today. I hope this guarantee is a smooth process.
Sorry for your loss. Might be the case of parasite still check salinity and other parameters . What other fish you have?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
re fallow the tank

qt done outside your home = folks can take shortcuts and not disclose them

also factors: I can’t think of a lesser effective place to quarantine fish than a fish store / ttm out the window, aerosol transfer vectoring guaranteed among fifty tanks

to not assume they took shortcuts and that the tank isn’t infected puts your next round of fish in danger for sure.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you can trust a store to keep their word, but you can trust Dr. Reef to. I think a store will provide any label gimmick it takes to sell in bulk

but Dr. Reef is so true to the method last year he was having trouble fulfilling orders because they came in so fast he couldn’t rush the preparation process, he was dedicated to the method. No fish store will do that, they’ll simply lie. Buying from a fish store claiming qt is the same as skipping all disease preps, they’re done in the home or not at all, the only exception would be if jay, humblefish or Dr Reef ran it for you in my opinion. Disease preps are this serious, owing to the twenty new help threads coming in the disease forum once the sun comes up today.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Might be the case of parasite still check salinity and other parameters . What other fish you have?
About to test the water again this morning but as of last night the salinity was .025.

re fallow the tank

qt done outside your home = folks can take shortcuts and not disclose them

also factors: I can’t think of a lesser effective place to quarantine fish than a fish store / ttm out the window, aerosol transfer vectoring guaranteed among fifty tanks

to not assume they took shortcuts and that the tank isn’t infected puts your next round of fish in danger for sure.

Reef Chaser's is mainly an online vendor. They don't have a lot of walking traffic. I have seen their quarantine process and this guy had been through it and then in a holding tank for a while. He was fat and happy. I am not sure what went sideways here. This tank for me is an upgrade from my EVO. I only had a mocha storm cloud clown pair and a royal gramma. The clowns have been doing great as always, they were my first fish 6 months ago. The royal gramma came from the old tank also. He has disappeared though. He was very active in the new tank and for a couple of days. Oddly when I went to pick the angel up the gramma disappeared at that point and we have seen a trace of him in a couple of days. My hope is that he just went into hiding. I don't think that is the case. I think we would see some piece of yellow or purple somewhere. He didn't jump, we have looked everywhere and moved furniture to try to find him...

I'll post water parameters after I test.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you can trust a store to keep their word, but you can trust Dr. Reef to. I think a store will provide any label gimmick it takes to sell in bulk

but Dr. Reef is so true to the method last year he was having trouble fulfilling orders because they came in so fast he couldn’t rush the preparation process, he was dedicated to the method. No fish store will do that, they’ll simply lie. Buying from a fish store claiming qt is the same as skipping all disease preps, they’re done in the home or not at all, the only exception would be if jay, humblefish or Dr Reef ran it for you in my opinion. Disease preps are this serious, owing to the twenty new help threads coming in the disease forum once the sun comes up today.
I have planned to order from Dr Reef. I will do so in the future. Patients is the hard part in this hobby. We I found they still had the angel that had gone through the process I decided to move on it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

IMG_3523.jpeg
The behavior you mentioned suggested it may have had velvet which they are susceptible to but the dark pic you provided makes it hard to tell.
Post any future pics under white lighting

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I only buy fish from Dr. Reef. He's honest and will hold a fish back from shipping if there are any concerns whatsoever about its health or quality. Had a delay on one of my orders because of this and I'm so glad he kept them a bit longer - the fish arrived perfect! The only time I've EVER had an issue with a fish was the most recent one I stupidly impulse-bought from my lfs. They do QT, but it's not as rigorous as Dr. Reef. I've never had an issue with their fish before, but all it takes is ONE fish. Ended up with what I'm 99.9% sure is brook in my tank. Lost almost all my fish I've had a year. :( I always tell people, if you can't QT yourself, buy fully quarantined from Dr. Reef! I have an order arriving from him next weekend. :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, he’s solid guy

one of the few forum reefers I’ve met in person, and one of the very few (.0001%) of reefers where we agree on cycling science too. Solid guy, contributes to the hobby tangibly

I fully believe anyone else will short change effort to make a sale.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, he’s solid guy

one of the few forum reefers I’ve met in person, and one of the very few (.0001%) of reefers where we agree on cycling science too. Solid guy, contributes to the hobby tangibly

I fully believe anyone else will short change effort to make a sale.
Exactly. And all it takes is one instance of getting disease in your tank to learn a big lesson. I don't believe most lfs are set up to be able to do full QT even if they say they do, and it would cost them time and money (I get it). So I have a huge problem when I see posts by people who bought fish from online vendors who claim to do full QT, but the fish still come with disease or in poor condition. I know nothing is 100% (even Dr. Reef is honest and says he can't 100% guarantee 'something' won't make it through the process). But I trust fish from him over anywhere else to be MOST likely to be completely disease/ parasite free. (BTW, I agree with your position on cycling) ;)

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is their quarantine process. As I said most of their business is shipping. They are only about 30 minutes from me and they do allow walk-ins. They had had this guy for sometime in the holding system after quarantine.

Reef Chasers Marine Fish Quarantine and the Salty Lagoon™

We have added a new section to our website called the Salty Lagoon! Only after fish have completed a full four week (28 day) stay in our state of the art Fish Quarantine system and passed a 5 point inspection for overall health are they moved to the Salty Lagoon Holding system. All specimens purchased from the Salty Lagoon are guaranteed to be among the healthiest available for purchase online. It's important to note that purchases of fish outside of the Salty Lagoon will have still undergone a minimum 10 day quarantine with health inspections and observation, as well as any necessary treatments. All fish offered for sale at Reef Chasers will have been in our direct care for a minimum of 10 Days.

All visibly sick fish will have been assessed, isolated to medical tanks, and provided treatment until they can recover. Visibly sick fish are never offered for sale at Reef Chasers!

Our quarantine system for marine fish is top of the line and second to none as we believe in competing with the best and doing so at the highest level. Our fish quarantine system runs at hypo-salinity (1.015sg/20ppt) with therapeutic levels of ionic copper sulfate (0.15 - 0.2ppm) which helps to alleviate stress on the fish as well as treat for a large swath of illnesses. We implement aggressive UV sterilization in order to further eliminate and prevent parasites. When we receive new fish, we drip acclimate them into our quarantine system over a 24 hour period under low lighting conditions in order to reduce their stress to a minimum. Our fish quarantine system is 1000 gallons and contains over 120 unique compartments, allowing us to individually contain and treat up to 120 unique specimens at one time. Each of our systems have independent filtration including large, functional refugiums, commercial RK2 foam fractionators (Protein Skimmers), and Aquadyne Fluidized Bead filters (on all marine systems).

Certain species of marine fish can be particularly prone to parasitic infections such as Clownfish, Damselfish, Tangs, Angelfish and Wrasse. Infections like Brook (Brooklynella hostilis) are attacked head on at Reef Chasers as we implement preventative measures on these specimens which include copper quarantine and medicated baths as needed with anti-parasitic treatments such as Formalin, Praziquantel, and Metronidazole. When we are dealing with Bacterial infections such as Vibrio, we isolate fish into 40 gallon medical tanks and provide treatments using medications such as Ciprofloxacin or other disease-specific anti-bacterial medications that are effective against pathogens like vibrios, flexibacteria, and aeromonads. These treatments also help to control some common bacterial diseases in fish, including columnaris infections such as black patch necrosis, saddleback disease, and fin rot.

Through-out their stay at Reef Chasers, we offer a variety of vitamin-enriched foods to all of the fish in our care. No fish goes starving at Reef Chasers! Nori on the clip is provided where appropriate as well as frozen foods that include mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, ghost shrimp, krill, R.O.E., copepods and various planktons. Foods are enriched with vitamins and medications in order to insure the fish in our care not only survive, but that they thrive!

We monitor and inspect livestock daily and provide treatments as necessary. After completing their four week stay in our Quarantine system, and only after passing a 5 point inspection for overall health will the specimen then be moved to our Salty Lagoon fish holding system. You can find the Salty Lagoon section on our website here where you can make your purchases with the confidence that the specimens you are buying are among the healthiest available for purchase online.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is their quarantine process. As I said most of their business is shipping. They are only about 30 minutes from me and they do allow walk-ins. They had had this guy for sometime in the holding system after quarantine.

Reef Chasers Marine Fish Quarantine and the Salty Lagoon™

We have added a new section to our website called the Salty Lagoon! Only after fish have completed a full four week (28 day) stay in our state of the art Fish Quarantine system and passed a 5 point inspection for overall health are they moved to the Salty Lagoon Holding system. All specimens purchased from the Salty Lagoon are guaranteed to be among the healthiest available for purchase online. It's important to note that purchases of fish outside of the Salty Lagoon will have still undergone a minimum 10 day quarantine with health inspections and observation, as well as any necessary treatments. All fish offered for sale at Reef Chasers will have been in our direct care for a minimum of 10 Days.

All visibly sick fish will have been assessed, isolated to medical tanks, and provided treatment until they can recover. Visibly sick fish are never offered for sale at Reef Chasers!

Our quarantine system for marine fish is top of the line and second to none as we believe in competing with the best and doing so at the highest level. Our fish quarantine system runs at hypo-salinity (1.015sg/20ppt) with therapeutic levels of ionic copper sulfate (0.15 - 0.2ppm) which helps to alleviate stress on the fish as well as treat for a large swath of illnesses. We implement aggressive UV sterilization in order to further eliminate and prevent parasites. When we receive new fish, we drip acclimate them into our quarantine system over a 24 hour period under low lighting conditions in order to reduce their stress to a minimum. Our fish quarantine system is 1000 gallons and contains over 120 unique compartments, allowing us to individually contain and treat up to 120 unique specimens at one time. Each of our systems have independent filtration including large, functional refugiums, commercial RK2 foam fractionators (Protein Skimmers), and Aquadyne Fluidized Bead filters (on all marine systems).

Certain species of marine fish can be particularly prone to parasitic infections such as Clownfish, Damselfish, Tangs, Angelfish and Wrasse. Infections like Brook (Brooklynella hostilis) are attacked head on at Reef Chasers as we implement preventative measures on these specimens which include copper quarantine and medicated baths as needed with anti-parasitic treatments such as Formalin, Praziquantel, and Metronidazole. When we are dealing with Bacterial infections such as Vibrio, we isolate fish into 40 gallon medical tanks and provide treatments using medications such as Ciprofloxacin or other disease-specific anti-bacterial medications that are effective against pathogens like vibrios, flexibacteria, and aeromonads. These treatments also help to control some common bacterial diseases in fish, including columnaris infections such as black patch necrosis, saddleback disease, and fin rot.

Through-out their stay at Reef Chasers, we offer a variety of vitamin-enriched foods to all of the fish in our care. No fish goes starving at Reef Chasers! Nori on the clip is provided where appropriate as well as frozen foods that include mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, ghost shrimp, krill, R.O.E., copepods and various planktons. Foods are enriched with vitamins and medications in order to insure the fish in our care not only survive, but that they thrive!

We monitor and inspect livestock daily and provide treatments as necessary. After completing their four week stay in our Quarantine system, and only after passing a 5 point inspection for overall health will the specimen then be moved to our Salty Lagoon fish holding system. You can find the Salty Lagoon section on our website here where you can make your purchases with the confidence that the specimens you are buying are among the healthiest available for purchase online.
Sorry about the coral beauty, that's too bad. :( Hope the gramma is just hiding out, but if not I'm sorry. It really sucks losing fish. I'm not familiar with Reef Chasers but I appreciate their detailed explanation of their process! Sounds more promising than like LA Diver's Den or even BlueZoo. I've been SO tempted to order from BluZoo recently... BUT, when you can find the same fish from Dr. Reef, they're more than worth the little extra cost for the peace of mind.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back