New fish recommendations for my 320 gallon reef?

Kansas Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ready to add some more fish to my reef. It has been running since September of 2019, but after losing my SPS corals, I am doing a reboot. I reworked some of the aquascape to be more open for better flow. My current fish are one Sailfin Tang, one Chocolate Tang, one Foxface, one Oscellaris Clownfish, two Yellow Tail Damsels, two Neon Gobies, and one Royal Gramma. I want to get several Fairy Wrasses from different species and will plan for them according to the chart shared by Hunter Hammond. I would like another Oscellaris, but think it might be best to get this fish paired up with an anemone before placing it in the tank. I'm not 100% sure about the anemone as I don't want it to cause problems with the corals or other fish.

I would like one or more shrimp gobies like the Orange Stripe Prawn Goby with a Pistol Shrimp, but I'm afraid they may be intimidated by the size of the larger fish. This is the same reason I think a nice school of Zebra Barred Dartfish won't work out. I don't want the mess of any Sand Sifting Gobies.

I am thinking about some Resplendent Anthias and later on some Dispar or Ignitus, but the quarantine vendor only has Resplendent and Bimacs in stock. I am hesitant about Bimacs as they sound more aggressive. Lyretails are a no go due to aggressiveness and Uronema.

Blue Green Chromis are out due to cannibalism and Uronema. Too bad, because they make nice dither fish.

I thought about some Flasher Wrasses, a male and some females, but again, I'm worried that they may be intimidated by the larger fish. I had a really nice Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse and recently lost it. I think that several Fairy Wrasses will do well. I also plan to increase the depth of my sand bed so I can add some Leopard Wrasses.

I'm thinking about one Kaudern's Cardinal Fish as I've read they they become cannibals in multiples.

I'm planning on four or five Chalk Bass, a Swissguard Basslet, some Kamohara Blennies, and a Possum Wrasse.

I want Clams, Feather Duster Worms, Shrimp (Skunk Cleaner), snails and hermit crabs.

I have spent a lot of time researching and keep coming up with road blocks to a peaceful community reef tank. As I don't have a tank full of live rock, I also worry about hiding/sleeping places for some of these fish. The ones that will bury in the sand will be fine. I thought about adding some Barnacle clusters. What are your experiences? What do you recommend? I appreciate your help!

Aquarium Front.jpg Aquarium Left.jpg Aquarium Center.jpg Aquarium Right.jpg

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you add an anemone your clownfish may take weeks or months to figure it out, so don't count on their intelligence. I'd add the second one sooner as opposed to later and worry about the anemone later.

I like my chromis, lyretail, marcia's and red fairy anthias. They latter two spend all their time schooling with the chromis. I loose the occasional chromis to mysterious causes, but they're cheap to replace and I love the movement.

My flame hawkfish is a character, but only get one. I have two dwarf angels - a black noir and coral beauty. You do have to keep an eye on certain corals, though.

I have a quoy's parrotfish which is probably my most interesting (if not challenging fish), and on the opposite side of the spectrum a marine betta - which is probably one of the calmest, peaceful and most enjoyable to watch.

Cleaner wrasses are always popular and I have a melnarus wrasse for pest control.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Being a person with large tanks, Tangs, angels and schoolong fish such as anthias make up a filler with color and personalities.
Of course, the stocking will be based on:
Fish only
mixed reef
reef

Cosider :
Potential for growth
Level of aggressiveness
species susceptible to disease
Ease or challenges of keeping

Lighting and water flow is a chalenge and requires muliple units in many cases.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back